WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I read on the Old Father Time website that flying may not be so good with an Accutron. Crystals may come off apparently. What concerns me more is the scanning equipment at the airport and the effect it may have on the watch. Anyone have any experience? I guess many have flown with an Accutron with no probs??
Ta
R

·
Registered
326 Posts
I wouldn't take OFT's word for anything. If the crystals popped off at high altitude then how were those astronauts able to wear Accutrons in their sub orbital flights with no problems? Besides this is from a shop that asks rip off level prices for cobbled together watches. Just look he has a alpha with a clark crystal & hands and with a incorrect gold tone pillar plate for $3595. What a joke

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And while we're on the subject..... He has a yellow dot for sale. I was under the following impression and please correct me if I'm wrong.

1. A yellow dot can ONLY be from 1963.

2. The 214 movement MUST have THREE cables running to the coil (including a yellow one, which disappeared in later models).

I'm not 100% sure about this anymore.

Tx and sorry about the thread hijack ;-)

R

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
It appears to me that the prices of most of the Accutron repairmen for watches that they are selling are ridiculous. I guess that's kind of good because a rising tide raised all boats so higher prices make our Accutrons worth more.
Getting back to the original post, maybe if my Accutrons were worth more, I could buy a bigger airplane. :001_smile:

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I have never had any of my Accutrons on an airplane but I do take them to altitudes over 10,000 feet for extended periods and occasionally above 13,000 feet. Potato chip bags and ketchup bottles explode at that altitude but my watches have all survived without incident.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
What in the H are you doing that high? I spent a night once at an altitude of about 8300 feet and found that exercise was a problem.
One of the members of my flying club decided to see how high he could go with his two stroke motor, he had oxygen for himself. He got to just a little over 16,000 feet when the engine died.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
You glide. :001_smile:
One of the best flyers in our club emigrated from your side of the pond because of his love of flying and his perception that it would be easier here. The ladies think his accent is quite enchanting.

·
Registered
101 Posts
No problems here.... I'm on a plane about ever other week. Have wore my 1970 spaceview and 1965 214 many times and they are still intact and working fine.
My Dad traveled well more than 50% of the time for business his entire career. He rarely went 2 weeks without getting on an airplane. For the better part of 20 years, his 218 was on his wrist. Never had the first problem that I know of...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.