WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Jake,

That is a fantastic idea on double teaming with DHL. Because I had three coming in at once I didn't hesitate, the cost was spread over 3 watches.

For whatever reason, shipping TO the spa is only mildly slowed down. I just had a package that shipped on August 14th from the states arrive September 3rd or so.

Coming back, it's going to be DHL all the way. I may have a couple more to send in the meantime, as long as I have 3 or more in transit I don't mind paying the expense.

Playing devils' advocate for a minute, it would totally suck if a few of us got together and DHL fumbled or lost the shipment!!!!

So that's something that would have to be discussed amongst those of us who want to try that.
I’ve got two to send if the offer stands

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Anyone heard from Rob B. in the last little bit? He's either away, or too busy to answer emails and he's usually very fast to respond.

Anyway, I thought I would share a couple of recent repairs he did for me.

My N4 Mickey Mouse was "repaired" locally, several times, and did not run correctly. Off to Rob B. for the spa treatment. It came back and was deader than a hammer. I sent it back with an old Soviet UFO watch for a new crystal. The UFO is simply a throwaway watch, but it looks really cool on an old 70s style leather cuff.

Turns out the Mickey had a component coil die on it's way to me. Devilish little watch! But keeping perfect time with the new coil!

Smile Clock Tree Font Quartz clock

Watch Analog watch Automotive tire Wood Clock

·
Premium Member
5,779 Posts
Very nice! Ever since we lost Skypilot so suddenly several years ago, I do often get concerned when I don't hear from somebody for awhile or even get an email from another member with the same concern. I haven't purchased or worked with Rob in awhile but I will say I noticed he has viewed this forum within the last 5 hours so he's still active and may be a bit busy. From my contacts info, he is quite busy. Just a little info for you!(y)

·
Super Moderator
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
I've neglected showing this one. This was a group effort to get it as close to correct as possible. I received it in pretty rough shape, but it did have the correct movement (as far as I could tell at the time), MO stamped pillar plate but incorrect hands and the case was a little rough. One of the lugs was bent as well.

Thanks to SM2, I had already used RePlateit for several cases, and this one was special of course. While Rob had the movement bringing it up to spec with correct hands, the case went off for restoration to RPI. They actually brought up the bent lug, (I hadn't noticed) and told me they would correct it, but if it snapped off it wasn't their responsibility. Luckily, they had no problem.

The tricky part was bringing it all back together. I had sourced the correct crystal for it, but the movement, case and caseback all arrived at my place. With a huge lump in my throat, I put everything together. I had ordered the Bergeon 6400 kit from Esslinger to install the crystal. I've seen it used years ago during my jewelry days, but had never used one. I made sure all the caffeine was out of my system, and carefully put it all together at my guitar/watch bench.

Success!

This was a lot of fun, (and a lot of money to restore it correctly) but very pleased to have this early example in my collection!

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Wrist

·
Premium Member
5,779 Posts
This was a lot of fun, (and a lot of money to restore it correctly) but very pleased to have this early example in my collection!

View attachment 231982
Not many people can say they own a 14kt Gold Accutron Alpha with the correctness along with original Accutron parts as that one. Very nice!(y)

I love these restoration examples🤗. Although you grumble privately about the cost for parts and services all is forgotten when the see the results that a skilled restoration can produce.
Sweet restoration! One of the nicest 203/204 Collections out there!!!!(y)

• Love
Reactions: rollerberg2000

·
Super Moderator
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
I love these restoration examples🤗. Although you grumble privately about the cost for parts and services all is forgotten when the see the results that a skilled restoration can produce.
I hope that didn't come across as grumbling!

I think it's up to the people who really care about these watches to see that they are restored correctly, cost isn't in the equation. As opposed to scrappers, (for gold) and the other scrappers, (who toss perfectly good dials to make a quick buck on evilbay).

61 - 70 of 70 Posts