WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
41 - 60 of 70 Posts

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #43 · (Edited)
1964 Astronaut, black day/night dial, bullet bracelet

This one came out really nice! I had never seen a black "enhanced" dial in person, very stunning!

CORRECTION: It has been correctly pointed out this is a day/night dial and I have the incorrect bezel for the watch, but I care not, this will be my daily driver!!!!

Watch Analog watch Clock Material property Nickel
Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Rectangle

Registered
Your "enhanced" dial is actually a day/night dial. The enhanced dials have gold or silver markers. Check out the sticky for more info. A day/night bezel would complete that project nicely, but the standard bezel still looks good. A nice find.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #46 · (Edited)
Your "enhanced" dial is actually a day/night dial. The enhanced dials have gold or silver markers. Check out the sticky for more info. A day/night bezel would complete that project nicely, but the standard bezel still looks good. A nice find.
Wow, thanks for the info! I knew it was "different" and skimmed the material before buying it and assumed it was "enhanced".

Now where in the world do I find a day/night bezel lol.......Sort of prefer the stainless look though. I may have found my everyday "beater" Astro since it's not original.

Watch Analog watch Photograph White Light

Premium Member
Wow, thanks for the info! I knew it was "different" and skimmed the material before buying it and assumed it was "enhanced".

Now where in the world do I find a day/night bezel lol.......Sort of prefer the stainless look though. I may have found my everyday "beater" Astro since it's not original.
The Day/Night Bezels can be purchased but are very rare and any used ones are generally quite worn. I have seen 3 NOS bezels on ebay the past 3 years and they can get expensive. I wouldn't concern myself with really trying to find one but if you do stumble across one, then make a decision. The watch looks just fine the way it is.

Watch Analog watch Clock Rectangle Silver

Reactions: rollerberg2000

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Thanks SM2, I noted the same thing, a lot of them I've seen are pretty beat up. Even if I had a brand new day/night bezel that means it would go "in the box" to not be worn. I'm going to wear this one, and to be honest, I actually prefer the look of the SS bezel!

I have one more build incoming, I'll post it when it arrives. Then, by decree of my lovely wife, my collecting days are over for the foreseeable future lol......So I will be ending on a very high note!

Registered
Rollerberg.. I gotta agree. I wouldn't forgive myself if I had a perfect day/night bezel and dinged it. I am awfully clumsy and wear my beat up Luminox watch most days. I found a NOS swiss astronaut bezel and the seller wants over $500 for it. I think I would rather have a banged up watch I would wear than a NOS watch sitting in a box.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
1975 SS Accutron "Anniversary" Spaceview

This is likely my very last post on this thread for quite awhile.

I was after this particular watch for a long time, but they've never been available in good shape for a decent price.

The case had never had a movement placed, it was a NOS case with the original bluing still clinging to the lugs.

Rob B. was able to locate a correct N5 pillar plate, and had it sent out for re-gilding prior to building me a movement.

He took his time finding the hands, which was fine with me, they look great!

If I have to step away from collecting for a while, this is a good note to go out on!

Watch Hand Analog watch White Product
Watch Blue Automotive lighting Purple Clock

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I asked Rob for pics, but I had thrown so many watches at him at once I'm sure he forgot. When I have the time, and a very clean workbench, I'll try to get some internal pics.

I found the case in Italy, crossed my fingers, crossed my toes, crossed my eyes and pulled the trigger. Was delighted when it finally arrived!

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Yeah, I got in on that flurry of activity from an earlier thread and snagged one.
I think this one falls into the "don't wear" category.
Still looking for a beater Astro for every day wear......

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Well, it's been a minute since I updated this. I wanted to share the 3 Astros that just arrived from a trip to Rob's spa. In order, an early M2 (the earliest SN I've seen to date), M3 with a stamped M2 movement, and a M7 Swiss Astro.

It's been freely discussed on other threads that there is a noticeable delay in USPS services overseas. One of these had been lounging in Customs since March! Rob was able to retrieve it thankfully, and shipped all three last week DHL.

To my surprise, they arrived yesterday (on Labor Day, no less)! So, I'm thinking DHL from now on or until things settle down!

Many thanks to Rob who went above and beyond on this shipment!

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Measuring instrument

Watch Analog watch Silver Clock Everyday carry

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Rectangle

Registered
Well, it's been a minute since I updated this. I wanted to share the 3 Astros that just arrived from a trip to Rob's spa. In order, an early M2 (the earliest SN I've seen to date), M3 with a stamped M2 movement, and a M7 Swiss Astro.

It's been freely discussed on other threads that there is a noticeable delay in USPS services overseas. One of these had been lounging in Customs since March! Rob was able to retrieve it thankfully, and shipped all three last week DHL.

To my surprise, they arrived yesterday (on Labor Day, no less)! So, I'm thinking DHL from now on or until things settle down!

Many thanks to Rob who went above and beyond on this shipment!

View attachment 214567
View attachment 214569
View attachment 214571
That鈥檚 a nice selection. March is a harder pill to swallow, though. DHL ftw!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
It's awesome to see the astros back! If anybody else wants to pair up on DHL from Rob let me know. I got a label maker and can ship your stuff your way once it arrives in the USA.

The 2nd astro with m2 plate and m3 movement is a special one. Having worked with rollerberg on it, it is a "G" prefix and is kind of like finding the missing link to show M2 plates in an M3 cased watch. The first "pre-astro" M2 watch starts with "E14..." which is the earliest I have seen. The pre-astro dial watches all fall in a particular range of serials from E14xxx to E15xxx from the ones I have observed. Recently another gent showed me an M2 watch with an "F" serial and standard astro dial. So here is the run down so far:

E14xxx to E15xxx - pre-astro dial with 62 (m2) caseback
"F" prefix to early "G" prefix - standard astro dial with 62 (m2) caseback - then it transitions to M3 for "G" prefix

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
It's awesome to see the astros back! If anybody else wants to pair up on DHL from Rob let me know. I got a label maker and can ship your stuff your way once it arrives in the USA.

The 2nd astro with m2 plate and m3 movement is a special one. Having worked with rollerberg on it, it is a "G" prefix and is kind of like finding the missing link to show M2 plates in an M3 cased watch. The first "pre-astro" M2 watch starts with "E14..." which is the earliest I have seen. The pre-astro dial watches all fall in a particular range of serials from E14xxx to E15xxx from the ones I have observed. Recently another gent showed me an M2 watch with an "F" serial and standard astro dial. So here is the run down so far:

E14xxx to E15xxx - pre-astro dial with 62 (m2) caseback
"F" prefix to early "G" prefix - standard astro dial with 62 (m2) caseback - then it transitions to M3 for "G" prefix
Jake,

That is a fantastic idea on double teaming with DHL. Because I had three coming in at once I didn't hesitate, the cost was spread over 3 watches.

For whatever reason, shipping TO the spa is only mildly slowed down. I just had a package that shipped on August 14th from the states arrive September 3rd or so.

Coming back, it's going to be DHL all the way. I may have a couple more to send in the meantime, as long as I have 3 or more in transit I don't mind paying the expense.

Playing devils' advocate for a minute, it would totally suck if a few of us got together and DHL fumbled or lost the shipment!!!!

So that's something that would have to be discussed amongst those of us who want to try that.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts