WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Oliverb, I know your experience has been quite different from mine, luckily. I'm glad to see that someone has had a different experience, because it seems that every 2210 Accutron I see advertised on eBay is said to be non working. I can't recall the last time I've seen one described as running.

My wife has a 2300 variant that she used to like to wear, but it unfortunately gains too much time (double indexing?). I have two really nice looking midsize 2300's (one that I originally mistook for a 2210) that don't run that I'd eventually like to have repaired for her. I have; of course :), made up for that by acquiring some nice mechanical pieces for her. She loves her Ernest Borel "cocktail" and Synchron/Borel kaleidoscope watches.

Accutronredux, you have very nice examples of that model. I'd perhaps jump on one of those IF the integrated band was in good shape. Sometimes difficult to find one that's in good shape. My wife isn't a fan of bracelets, and prefers softer leather watchstraps. Those are pretty "blingy" pieces though, I think they're quite interesting pieces, and representative of the era.

Eric

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Ive bought several 221 movements listed as non-running that started right up with a fresh battery. They nice thing about the 221 and 230 calibers is that parts are available and generally cheap.

·
Premium Member
5,779 Posts
I would think if that's not been redialed and the color altered some (which it may have), that's just aged patina and some fading and the dial was probably more silver tone when new. Alot of silver dial Astronauts have that hue to them when aged. That would be my best guess.

*** And camera settings can change the look of those dials also.

Reactions: charlie48

·
Super Moderator
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
That's a great observation, it could have darkened over time. Now that you mention it, I've seen several photos of silver dialed Astronauts that were very different hues of silver.

After 53 years, I'm developing a "patina" myself lol.....

·
Premium Member
5,779 Posts
Here is a asto 'silver' dial that has somewhat of a faded gold tone hue to it. But I how this dial has been redone so that color is something the refinisher put on it so unless you know if its been redialed its sometimes alittle harder to tell. I can tell on this one with the tic mark at the 12 oclock position.

Analog watch Watch Clock Watch accessory Quartz clock

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bumper Wood Automotive exterior

·
Premium Member
5,779 Posts
Yes, i am no expert but it indexes the dial orientation properly. It keeps everything properly aligned.

·
Super Moderator
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
M7 SS Spaceview with bow tie lugs and JB bracelet

Just got this one back from the shop. The bracelet on this one is a head scratcher, it's a period correct JB Champion, but the buckle doesn't have the familiar tuning fork logo, only a pyramid and the initials JB on the clasp. So doubt it's original, the band feels like it's never been worn, maybe new old stock from somewhere.

Wheel Analog watch Watch Motor vehicle Crankset
Watch Automotive tire Analog watch Jewellery Bangle
Watch Analog watch Clock Finger Watch accessory

·
Super Moderator
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
M5 YGF 214 Spaceview with rarely seen YGF Coffin link bracelet.

There are likely many things incorrect about this watch, the hands certainly don't seem to be original (I'm not seeing the "bent tip" on the minute hand for example), so I may be renovating this one at some point. I bought it mainly to get the band in case I ever stumble upon a YGF Astro at some point.

Watch Body jewelry Analog watch Clock Watch accessory
Badge Gas Font Jewellery Symbol
Hand Silver Jewellery Body jewelry Font

21 - 40 of 70 Posts