WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Super Moderator
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
Glad to have found this forum!

I was a semi-serious collector back in the 80s and 90s, had a pretty good collection going (around 20+ or so), and lost interest around the same time my then wife lost interest in me...:blush:

At the end of 2017, I started digging through some of my old boxes and came across the only two Accutrons I had managed to keep.

Researching what it would take to get this one running led me to this forum:

Watch Clock Wood Measuring instrument Material property

1974 Mickey Mouse 218 I've had since 1989 or so. I took it to one of the remaining Accutron watchmakers I knew to get it repaired and authenticated.

And now the monster is loose!

I've spent the past month looking for 214's and I'm quite shocked at what the prices are after having been out of the market for 20 years!

On the flip side, I did not have access to such a valuable resource as WTF back then, so I'm really enjoying the shared wisdom!

I'll be posting pics on this page as I find treasures, any comments or insight will be appreciated!

Light Gear Auto part Gas Metal

·
Super Moderator
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The case back was very firmly adhered, it took some work too get it off. Lots of scratches on the movement, was surprised the ink was still present inside the case back!

Looking at some of the previous stickies regarding Astronauts, this would appear to be the silver "enhanced" dial with Dauphine radium markers. The minute hand has the "bent tip" indicating it is original and not a replacement.

Any info as to whether or not these components are correct would be appreciated!

Motor vehicle Material property Font Gas Jewellery

·
Premium Member
5,777 Posts
Nice Astronaut "L"/w Silver Enhanced Dial.
Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Rectangle

The only thing I can see that may have been replaced at one time is the Astronuat 214HN pillar plate. Having observed these watches for awhile now, I am guessing that 30-40% of all astros selling out there don't have a correctly 214HN pillar plate. Some may have been replaced due to issues(battery corrosion etc), others may have not been installed at all with that stamping and I know of some circumstances where sadly, they were removed and swapped out with regular Stamped 214 pillar plates by repair persons looking to keep the best parts out of your watch without you knowing it. 214HN pillar plates are very hard to come by so the reasons why not all Astros come with that correct stamping are numerous. That being said, I don't see your pillar plate stamped 241HN. It may be and I can't see the HN stamping which many times is 'faint' an hard to see. Other then that it looks pretty correct for that model watch (dial,hands etc).

***Note: 214HN Pillar Plates are unique to accutron Astronauts only. Also, there are kits out there to make any 214 movement work properly in an Astronaut watch.

214HN Stamped Pillar Plate example:
Material property Font Automotive tire Gas Auto part

Your Pillar Plate:
Automotive tire Product Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Watch

Reactions: rollerberg2000

·
Super Moderator
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you very much for your insight!
I learned about the "HN" designation only recently while looking for an Astro.
Who knows, maybe even the one I had years ago was a retrofit???

I would not say I'm devastated to learn it's not the original movement. I'm sure I will enjoy it regardless.

I wore it all day with no battery, I was just happy having an Astronaut on my wrist!

Just a few hours ago, I went to my stash:

Audio equipment Gas Font Electronic engineering Space

Well over 20 years ago, when our benevolent govmt decided Accutron (mercury oxide) batteries would topple civilization as we know it, I snatched up all of these batteries I could get my hands on.

Lo, all these years since, I've managed to hang on to them, transferring them from one refrigerator to the next as if safeguarding embroyos for future generations.

Would you believe this old Astro jumped right to life and (so far) is keeping time?

And don't berate me, I have seen on this forum that is a sacriledge, you should NOT install a battery on a watch with unknown service record, but I could not help myself!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks!
It's only the second lady Accutron I've physically had my eyes on, I don't know if they are rare, or, as a guy they fly under the radar.
I bought it for next to nothing, my wife liked it and wanted to wear it non-running, I couldn't take that however. These babies should hum!

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I have several vintage Accutrons for my wife. However, presently none of them are running :-( They need attention. It seems I never have any luck with 2210 or 2300 movements.

Eric
________

Thanks!
It's only the second lady Accutron I've physically had my eyes on, I don't know if they are rare, or, as a guy they fly under the radar.
I bought it for next to nothing, my wife liked it and wanted to wear it non-running, I couldn't take that however. These babies should hum!

Reactions: rollerberg2000

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Back a few years ago the Lady Accutrons were really cheap. The 214 was “THE ACCUTRON” to have and most others were ignored, especially the Lady Accutrons. My luck with the 230 and 221 has been mostly the opposite. My daughter and each grand daughter now have one, my wife has a few and I have several others. Haven’t added to that part of my collection for some time though.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts