WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh--dear....

That was the very one I was looking at earlier that made me write this post....As you say, a pretty ugly thing...
--That dial just looks totally wrong for it somehow...Mega priced too IMHO--For what is just a 2181....

Think if I was to 'make' one--which I dont plan to, I would use an Accutron marked 'dial' crystal and have no date complication--I think it would look better....

Ah well, No accounting for taste!:001_rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
I'd suggest that you go back to a recent thread called "2 of my latest Accutrons" started by Italianouk for a pretty complete discussion of these watches. I certainly learned a lot from that thread.
Will be interested in your comments after you have reviewed it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'd suggest that you go back to a recent thread called "2 of my latest Accutrons" started by Italianouk for a pretty complete discussion of these watches. I certainly learned a lot from that thread.
Will be interested in your comments after you have reviewed it.

Rarity doesn't imply desirability. These 218 Spaceviews are rare because they were not popular and not many were sold. They were Bulova's sad attempt at trying to continue on the amazing success of the 214 Spaceview 10 years earlier. Remember beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I still think they are ugly.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
ACCUONE "Rarity doesn't imply desirability."

I'm not necessarily disputing or disagreeing with what you say but I just watched one sell on ebay for over $1000 so I guess it was desirable to somebody.

·
Registered
33 Posts
ACCUONE "Rarity doesn't imply desirability."

... I just watched one sell on ebay for over $1000 so I guess it was desirable to somebody.
Being solid 18k probably didn't hurt either...

Interestingly, besides the Railroad, the 218 spaceview is the only Accutron I would consider getting because I like the way it looks. The wife was suggesting I buy that particular watch, but I couldn't justify getting it since I would be too concerned with damaging it.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
To tell the truth, I think the look grows on you. Beauty is truly in the eyes of the beholder.
Some people in this forum have paid large amounts of money for watches I wouldn't take to a sh-- ,er, mud fight to use as a shield.
Since the learning experience in the thread mentioned above, I have bought two of these skeletonized 218's.
When the second one arrives maybe I'll take a picture of them together and post it to this thread.

82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
218/9 series...

Let me say first, That I'm a great fan of the 218 series and its younger brother the 219.

I have several!:biggrin:

But--The issue with these as a 'spaceview' is really a dialless 218--there's nothing much to see!

Only the coils, the keyless-work and date complication parts....
--Not like a purely mechanical where the ballance and escapement are often visible.

The 214 of course has all its electronics, resistors caps etc in a 'cute' green coil-form--Much more going on as it were...

Got me thinking now--Maybe I'll drag out one of the old movements I have and take a Dremel to it! At least it would be possible to make the electronics visible by cutting the rear off the component coil and removing metal of the movement it sits on top of....

--Maybe even make Some of the gear-train visible too....

I did this some years ago to a purely mechanical just to see if I could do it....
--Ended up reminding me of that 218 above, as the dial is the same colour....

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
I agree that there isn't much to see with a skeletonized 218 and I'm certainly not going to try to proclaim them beautiful but at least they put in a gold colored bridge to shine a little.
As for using a Dremel tool, one of the well known Accutron repair guys does that with Astronauts and makes Spaceview Astronauts but he's sure not going to get his hands on any of my Astronauts.
I still wonder about the source of the skeletonized 218's. It seems odd that I have never seen a Bulova advertisement for one but the ones I have seen do have some pretty consistent characteristics. I have wondered more than once if they might have come out of a custom shop like a Mustang out of the Rousch shop or Camaro out of the SLP shop.

·
Registered
347 Posts
When you look at it all you really have is that bridge and a special cut out dial. If I were to own one I would have to go with a solid gold one as you can't economically restore gold fill

·
Registered
101 Posts
Wow. Some harsh opinions in this thread! Oh well. I will go on record saying that I think the 218 Spaceviews are awesome and I have always been in love with the design. I'm a bit biased - the one on my wrist right now was my Dad's everyday timepiece for 25 years before it was gifted to me nearly 20 years ago. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Wow. Some harsh opinions in this thread! Oh well. I will go on record saying that I think the 218 Spaceviews are awesome and I have always been in love with the design. I'm a bit biased - the one on my wrist right now was my Dad's everyday timepiece for 25 years before it was gifted to me nearly 20 years ago. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess.
Yeah, not a popular version of a Spaceview. With just the normal, full bridge I really don't like them but with the skeletonized bridge and the O.E. cut away dial, I think it looks good.

·
Banned
645 Posts
It's a shame, this case is very handsome and the cutting out spoils an otherwise great looking watch. I can understand why they were unpopular.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I like the 218 spaceview. My uncle bought one at an estate sale and just mailed it to me for service. It's exactly like the first one in the thread. I have to say, the gold/gold/gold combo with the black second hand is cool. I like it more seeing it in person. Also, the original dials are machined out, not on a lathe. YOu can tell by the material left around the date window. I'm going to make my own 218 spaceview the way I want it, but that's just me...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Let me clarify that I am talking about the factory-made Bulova 218 Spaceviews (with the custom gold calendar bridge) that I love. I will agree that any customized attempts at turning a 218 into a Spaceview look pretty dumb - the insides were not all the same like a 214, and without that calendar bridge it just doesn't work. I would also add a huge disclaimer (as skypilot and others here may attest to from my comments in the other thread on these watches) - this was my father's watch all through my childhood before it was given to me at age 18. The watch is way more about my Dad to me than anything else. In that respect, he could have had a cheap timex and I would probably be singing it's praises today on a watch forum somewhere. Thanks for listening...:biggrin:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Since this seems to be a mostly negative thread on the 218 Spaceview-let me give you my opinion. Why single out the 218 Spaceview. I think all the 218's are ugly. They were built to satisfy the masses who wanted an accutron that looked like all the other watches on the market-winding stem and day/date. The only true accutron is the 214. It took me awhile to realize that and have since sold off all my 218s. Look at the prices on the market the 214s bring 100s of dollars more than the 218s of similar condition .

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Since this seems to be a mostly negative thread on the 218 Spaceview-let me give you my opinion. Why single out the 218 Spaceview. I think all the 218's are ugly. They were built to satisfy the masses who wanted an accutron that looked like all the other watches on the market-winding stem and day/date. The only true accutron is the 214. It took me awhile to realize that and have since sold off all my 218s. Look at the prices on the market the 214s bring 100s of dollars more than the 218s of similar condition .
Well, that's an interesting viewpoint but not one shared by all Accutron collectors. The majority of Accutrons produced were of the 218 caliber and are still sought today by many collectors. Do all 214 caliber Accutrons sell for hundreds of dollars more than the others? No, not really. That's a slight exaggeration. I have seen many unique 218s go for more than the average 214. Yes, the 214 is unique because of its hidden crown but it was a bulkier watch and one Bulova elected not to equip with Day or Date complications. The Russian Slava copy of the Bulova 214 was equipped with both Date and Day/Date complications in a few rare cases, proving that the 214 movement could be so equipped. Customers wanted slimmer watches with additional complications and the 218/219/224 calibers fit the bill. All calibers of Accutron movements are unique and collectible. Personally, I like the 224 caliber Accuquartz movement as much, and possibly more, than the 214 caliber. It was the last tuning form caliber Bulova produced and represents a marriage between two different technologies. Fewer of these calibers were produced and they were priced higher than the other average Accutron calibers. To each his own. That's what makes the world more interesting.

·
Banned
605 Posts
Interesting points of view. I don't own a 214 yet but have 4 x 218s - One of which works.......

I find the 214s a bit plain to look at, frankly. I'm a case/dial sort of guy more so than movements.

I'm working on owning a 214, probably a RR.

At the moment I'm wearing my (working) 218 up/down in really great condition with a black dial, accutron second-hand and electric blue roman numerals. It keeps perfect time and looks bloody lovely.

And yeah, I'm keen to get an Accuquartz. Some of them are freaking cool!!!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts