WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an Accutron 2182 for a song. It had an old Union Carbide 343 battery that fortunately did not leak. I replaced it with a new 1.55v silver battery that I had on hand. The 218 started right up but it runs very fast on the order of an HOUR per day. I wouldn't think that the increase in peak voltage would make a difference since some people recommend a 344 battery and the watch has to regulate the voltage anyway. I think that the regulation only allows for slight adjustments to the 218, certainly not an hour a day. I am brand new to Accutron watches. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What does "checked out and serviced" mean? I am new to Accutron but have a decent amount of experience with mechanical watches. Could mechanical interference be limiting the amplitude of the tuning fork similar to the regulation of a hairspring to speed up the timing by shortening the springs effective length? I am tempted to try a few things on my own. Of course I was looking for a simple reason for the very fast rate.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Could be double indexing. That would make it run quite fast. Not unusual in a watch that hasn’t been serviced, maybe since new, and now needs service as Chris said.

·
Registered
390 Posts
It means taking it apart, looking for wear or damage, replacing any needed parts, ultrasonic cleaning (using correct techniques so nothing gets damaged), then reassembly with appropriate lubes, and finally setup of the indexing mechanism, regulation, and testing. Usually a new case back gasket and crystal are needed too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK you are hearing it from me at the beginning of the effort. I will give it a try to see if I can educate myself enough to fix the problem (s) myself. I don't have any watches serviced. I got into the hobby with the idea of servicing my own mechanical watches working on thrift store mechanicals, nothing more expensive than 17 jewel swiss movement older watches.
I just hope that I don't hack up the Accutron before it is fixed. The journey has begun.

·
Registered
396 Posts
What many here are trying to say politely is: send it out for service.
There are a couple threads on this forum about service providers and what you’re looking for. Essentially to tool up to handle the service needs of Accutrons, its all about magnification and experience. So much of the movement is microscopic, and delicate in the extreme. Handling something wrong, like with your fingers, can damage it beyond repair. The movements are not complex, it’s what, 9 parts? But they are finicky. Trust in this forum to point you the right way. Do some searches on what to do to get started with servicing these watches, and few free to ask questions, most are happy to provide answers and help you trouble shoot, but please PLEASE do some research on the specifics first before you inadvertent make an unrecoverable mistake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for your help. I am doing a timing test at the moment to get a decent baseline. This is most likely a movement that has not been serviced for close to 40 to 50 years. Cleaning and oiling I am thinking of doing. There is a chunk of crud on the jewel on the left side of the index wheel (with the back removed) plus the watch was in motion the entire time I have observed it under the microscope so I will get back to you after I have time to look at the indexing. I am quickly getting Clues about these amazing electro-mechanical machines. I will do a bit more research on servicing this 218 before I hack into it. My questions at the moment are related to how indexing and phasing are done on the watch. Is there a service manual on the 218? Actually I have not looked yet. Thanks for your patience with a self taught newbie.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sending it out for service is against my way of doing things. But I will see if I can get around that. I have never sent my cars out for service. I don't consider that it is a great risk to try to get at the heart of the matter. Old watch without service for years. (Some of that I can do) it definitely needs service.
Maybe if I can do some mechanical service and get the index jewels clean I might see a change in the performance.
I will take a good look at it tomorrow or the next day to see if it is too microscopic for me to deal with. Even though I have spent many hours under my microscopes it may be too special for an untrained watch guy.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Well welcome to the forum! You would not be the first to start learning how to fix Accutrons by jumping in and trying it. If you can already service mechanical watches well, you are halfway there. Reading the 218 service manual will help too.

One big difference you will see right away that complicates servicing is it has six jewels in settings with caps that don't disassemble. They're made with open/vented settings that are meant to be cleaned with ultrasonic in an automatic machine. The index wheel also can only be cleaned with ultrasonic, and you must do it in a way that doesn't let the edge of the wheel touch anything but the cleaning fluids.

A few parts are extra small and easy to lose - be careful with the springs when you get into the day/date mechanism. The index wheel will be ruined if you touch the edge with anything hard, like tweezers or screwdrivers. A few parts are very picky about their lube, especially the center wheel (there is no traditional cannon pinion) and the date mechanism.

For setup you will need a way to run it at various amplitudes - any adjustable power supply setup that covers the 0.5~2v range will be fine. Ideally you'll have an ammeter too, that can read accurately around the 5~10uA range.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
The service manuals for both the 214 and 218 movements are available online for free. Just search.
There are several very good Facebook groups that have the manuals deposited within their files section.
But a google search should bring up results.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts