WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
its about school time again and i am looking for a verry acurate ( losses almost no time and the second, minute and hour hand match up very well with the minute and hour markers on the face) analog wristwatch. preferably leather straped. budget $60 and below. ive looked at some brands like casio, timex, armitron and some cheaper seikos. quartz movement. any ideas?

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
its about school time again and i am looking for a verry acurate ( losses almost no time and the second, minute and hour hand match up very well with the minute and hour markers on the face) analog wristwatch. preferably leather straped. budget $60 and below. ive looked at some brands like casio, timex, armitron and some cheaper seikos. quartz movement. any ideas?
I am afraid you may have to go beyond $60 for such a watch. High accuracy quartz with second hand lining up well with markers dont come cheap.

·
Super Moderator
16,568 Posts
I'm afraid bullosa is right. With only 60 bucks to play with, you are almost asking the impossible. Attention to detail costs money!

Go to ebay or amazon ( I forget which) and look for watches made by Swanson. It is a Japanese watch company and their stuff is very reasonably-priced. I had a Swanson quartz calendar watch years ago that was frighteningly accurate. There's no reason to think today's watches are any less accurate than those made years ago.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes it seems like what i want is attention to detail, and its costs more $. I am, however, looking into a Pulsar Men's PF8303 Sport Chronograph Brown Dial Leather Strap Watch and a (pulsar) Seiko Men's PT3031 Chronograph Watch after expanding my budget a little.

·
Super Moderator
16,568 Posts
I love it when we're given a little more room to maneuver in!
You can't go wrong with a Seiko chronograph. I bought this new maybe 25-30 years ago. It has outlived its original metal bracelet and a leather strap, and banged around in restaurant kitchens longer than I'd care to admit. It is still running like a champ.

In our daily watch-on-the-wrist threads, Andy Chandra occasionally posts a much newer version with a beautiful irredescent blue dial.

·
Super Moderator
16,568 Posts
There's no "probably" about it. Analog WaveCeptors start at just under $100.00 over at amazon.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
screw it why not??

kinda took a shot in the dark ish, and turned a 180.:001_rolleyes:
I've always wanted a skeleton mechanical and was planning to get a relatively nice one later this year but i guess i didn't want to wait so i got a entry level one. a akribos xxiv saturnos. neither very accurate or quartz. but i like the aesthetic appeal it has. i have read how unreliable the brand is so maby I'll get lucky and get a quite good one! but if not i believe the problem most people have with akribos/sturling is that the QC looks at the watch and if it runs it ships, and that the shelf life of many of the watches is just too long before shiped so i'll take it to my watch guy (who happens to be my uncle) and get it oiled and checked if the one i get is sketchy. ive also read that the warranty is crummy. i"ll be sure to write a review on it when it gets to me sometime this week! thanks for the advice about the original watch i was going to get! i will be sure to use it in a few months on my next "affordable investment":thumbup1:
oh and by the way, aside from some cheap walmart junk this is pretty much my first real watch! ive recently gotten into watches after my aforementioned uncle introduced me to fine watches on a cuise a few months ago. the on board shop was full of small fortunes and in cabo san lucas we went to a fine watch "mall" of sorts and looked at watches worth the value of my house!
a very interested newbie!:001_rolleyes:

·
Banned
28,291 Posts
Look into the Invicta Sunday Run (invictasundayrun.com); it is an easy way to find a cheap analog quartz with good accuracy. Anything in a chronometer will work.
I'd question that advice. :blink: If you want a watch that comes with it's hands actually attached you might not want to go the Invicta route. Seiko and Casio are about as cheap and have virtually no quality control or customer service issues. The same can't be said for Invicta.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I'd question that advice. :blink: If you want a watch that comes with it's hands actually attached you might not want to go the Invicta route. Seiko and Casio are about as cheap and have virtually no quality control or customer service issues. The same can't be said for Invicta.
We're through about a dozen without issue. I also know that there are people who have returned DOAs without issue. So far I've been pretty happy with the ones I've received. What was your bad experience? I did have a Casio on the other hand that fell apart after a year. I also admit as to not particularly finding the Seikos attractive. Maybe that is just me. I have heard about problems with Invicta's service as taking unduly long but I've no plan on using that part of the company. On the other hand I won't likely be buying any more in the near future. On yesterday Thursday Marathon there was a pretty nice Chrono for $50 which I'm certain would have fit the bill.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.