WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I challenge you to a duel. My old tech NOS 1973 Bulova Accuquartz - as it came from the factory,never serviced - against your new tech Bulova Precisionist. I calibrated mine this A.M. against my "Atomic Clock" at 10:05 EST, 12/27/11. First time it had been set in over two months. Was two seconds slow. How long should we run the contest? A month or ...? Winner takes pride in his watch! :w00t:

·
Registered
254 Posts
So the Precisionist can measure time within fractions of a second very well, and the Accutron can give you correct time measurements repeatedly within a certain delta?

2 seconds slow in a month. You have to love the accutron.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I accept your challenge. The Precisionist is set to the Naval Observatory Master Clock Time. We go until one of them is +/-2 seconds. OK?

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I accept your challenge. The Precisionist is set to the Naval Observatory Master Clock Time. We go until one of them is +/-2 seconds. OK?
Sounds good. I'll have to check the Naval Observatory Master clock Time to see how it corresponds to the satellite time. Should be about the same?

Edit: Just checked USNO on computer. That seems to be about 1 sec. or so slower than my satellite clock. My watch is still dead on with my clock from 10:05 A.M. EST this morning. Are we having fun yet? :biggrin:

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Sounds like great fun ! All I know is that I have 3 Accuquartz and they are crazy accurate.
Sam2, that Precisionist is a beauty and I like the toy in the background too.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Sounds like great fun ! All I know is that I have 3 Accuquartz and they are crazy accurate.
Sam2, that Precisionist is a beauty and I like the toy in the background too.
Yes, I have 4 Accuquartz units as well, good time keepers...

By the way, what caliber is that "toy" your Precisionist is propped up on? :001_rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Anyone who wants to play along, feel free to join in but don't expect a quick decision. This could be like watching paint dry.
The USNO site http://www.usno.navy.mil/USNO/time/master-clock and the phone (719) 567-6742 that I use are always in sync. If there is any transmission delay, it really doesn't matter as long as we all use a time reference that is consistent. My greatest concern is not screwing it up when it comes time to set the date at the end of February.
I won't feel bad if one of your Accuquartz watches out performs the Precisionist. Bulova is just trying to reinvent the wheel. There are many quartz watches that come close. Even my old Swiss Army Brand 1884 is seldom off more than +3 seconds very two months or so. But what I like about my new watch is the color. I can almost taste it....

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Anyone else who wants to play along, feel free to join in but don't expect a quick decision. This could be like watching paint dry. But what I like about my new watch is the color. I can almost taste it....
Yeah but it will be fun. I'm not expecting miracles from my Accuquartz either but, as two others have said, when they are properly calibrated they keep excellent time. The two I just had serviced are quite accurate but not up to the one I pictured for the dual. Yours probably won't be as susceptible to wrist movements and positioning as is the Accutron. I don't wear it every day but I do wear it a few days each month.

Yes. I like both the design and color of the dial and the case of your watch. When the Precisionist line was first announced and I saw your model I thought that is the one I want! It even has jewels in the quartz movement, unlike my equally expensive Citizen quartz watches.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Update

Checked my Accuquartz today just after noon EST with my "satellite" clock - dead on since set on 12/27/11! Have worn the watch one time since 12/27/11.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Checked my Accuquartz today just after noon EST with my "satellite" clock - dead on since set on 12/27/11! Have worn the watch one time since 12/27/11.
I almost threw in the towel last night. I had completed a fresh install of Windows on a neighbor’s computer after her kids downloaded a nasty virus. Funny, she wanted to know if that was because they hadn’t washed their hands after playing with the mouse. Anyway, I clicked on the Master Clock and was shocked to see that the Precisionist had gained four seconds in just a few hours. I darn near panicked but soon realized that Windows had decided to phone home and was in the process of downloading four years worth of updates. Apparently, the browser was slowed by the additional demand on the CPU or DSL but all is well today and we still have a race. There has been no deviation since the Precisionist was set on December 23.
I have been reading some reviews that say Bulova is a bit optimistic on claims of battery life (3 years) and couldn't help wondering how anyone would know that. Wasn't the Precisionist first introduced at Basel in March of 2010? I worry too much!

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Funny, she wanted to know if that was because they hadn’t washed their hands after playing with the mouse.!
That's a great story. Perfect to go with those hilarious service calls computer tech folks get!

I suspect your watch will win in the end but who knows. Batteries might give out before a conclusion! :biggrin: I have three other Accuquartz watches I would never put up against yours but this one is just crazy accurate for a vintage watch.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
The Accuracy Contest

I have enjoyed following your "contest" and the results so far...will the new best the old? I have 19 214 and 1 218, but I don't think any of them are as spot on as the two in the contest. I am, however, using one of my non-Bulova Accutrons as a check ride...my Rolex Oysterquartz 17013. It's now 20 years old, but is amazingly accurate. Haven't checked it in quite a while, so your "contest" is an opportunity to see if the Rollie still has the right stuff.:sneaky2:

·
Super Moderator
15,641 Posts
I bought mine the first week in October. It's holding pretty steady at -0.75 seconds/ month

Reactions: skypilot
1 - 20 of 53 Posts