WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was looking on eBay (I'm an eBay newbie) at watches the other day, when I came across a couple of auctions for an Accutron Gemini 64C100 with the 7750 Valjoux movement. Like a cat enthralled by a laser dot on the wall, as soon as I saw Valjoux, I was transfixed on the watch.:w00t::001_wub: Several of the auctions had outrageous prices, but one, which was ending in an hour was relatively cheap--around a $150 cheaper than Amazon.

Oh, what the heck I thought, at that price, I'll put a few bids in. Every time I would put a bid in, as soon as I hit the bid button, I would see a pop up screen saying "You've been outbid.":cursing: After a couple of bids, I figured it was an automated bid bot. I was annoyed. How dare they cheat like that!!!!

"I'll fix them, said my brilliant self, I'll bid them up for just cause." Just when I was going to quit, I guess I passed their bid cap.:cool1: Darn, darn, darn (darn language filters : ). It turned out I outsmarted myself and won the auction. Stupid, stupid, stupid.:cursing:

The final price? $80 cheaper than Amazon. Not a great deal, but now it is mine.:blush:

So yours truly will shortly be the owner of a rose gold Bulova Accutron Gemini 64C100. For what it is worth, it features day and date windows, a chronograph, and a GMT dial.

Here's a screen grab from the auction. I'll post pictures when I get it.

·
Banned
28,290 Posts
Looks like a nice watch. Is the same model available from other dealers so you're sure it's authentic?

Oh, and it wasn't a bot at all - another person might have entered a bid of $400 but only needed $310 to outbid the last highest bidder. If you enter $325, you'll be told that you were outbid even though no bid was entered a split second after you. This will keep happening until you outbid the previous $400. (the numbers are just hypothetical for example)

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like a nice watch. Is the same model available from other dealers so you're sure it's authentic?

Oh, and it wasn't a bot at all - another person might have entered a bid of $400 but only needed $310 to outbid the last highest bidder. If you enter $325, you'll be told that you were outbid even though no bid was entered a split second after you. This will keep happening until you outbid the previous $400. (the numbers are just hypothetical for example)
There are several auctions with this particular model and it is available on Buy.com, Amazon, and a few other sites. Looks to be a 2010 or 2011 model. On Bulova's site, the 2012 are similar, but without the rose gold.

·
Super Moderator
16,903 Posts
A lot of us have done the same thing early in our eBay careers.
Unless the watch is one you really need in order to fill an important slot in your collection, you should train yourself to determine what is the most you will be willing to spend on that watch. Bid that amount right away and then forget about it. Just walk away. No worries about shill bidding, automated bids, snipers, active bidders with more cash to spend than you, or multiple bids by you because of a bruised ego. You are going to win or you are not. And if you don't, that's OK- there are literally tons of watches out there including the one that got away from you, and sooner or later you WILL get a chance to bid on another one. Heck- once in a while a deal will fall apart and THAT VERY SAME WATCH will come up again for auction!
Again: make your best offer and then stop. Save your important money for that good piece you simply haven't discovered yet.!

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I needed a WWII era watch for a USO party to which I was going and spotted a Bulova that looked right as the bidding was ending so I bought it without looking it over very well. You guessed it, it arrived with a quartz movement. I wore it to the party and then took to to the range and used a .22 on it. At least it was cheap.
On the other hand, you got a nice watch out of it.

·
Super Moderator
16,903 Posts
Wait'll you discover the thrills and spills of eBaying while inebriated - you'll learn the cost of impaired judgement to the penny!:biggrin:
:laugh::laugh: That's how I wound up with a pair of identical 1962 Hamiltons. I'd forgotten I already owned one! :blink::blink:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.