WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Team,

Are Accutron hands - (Hour/Minute/Sweeper) - specific to the Accutron range or are they a standard fitting item across the ABC platforms?
I realise there is differences in lengths to consider, depending on the movement, case and possibly dial or crystal design, but is there anything else to take into consideration when thinking about swapping hands on an Accutron?

From looking at spare parts on ebay, I have noticed the letters A B C used on the little blue or white parts bags, to represent which platform the part is for, or an "ABC Standardised Parts" package will have movement number like 214, 218, etc, in the top left for Accutron parts, but I have yet to see any hand packages with A or 214, 218 on them....So I'm not sure if that is because the hands are interchangeable across the ABC ranges, or I just haven't been looking hard enough for Accutron specific hands, haha.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Maybe someone could post a page from an ABC catalogue showing the hands.
Are they listed by watch model number rather than 214, 218 ect?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With all of our Accutron experts we have here you wouldn't think your question would remain unanswered for 11 days.....

Try sending a pm to Rob B from Thailand.
Maybe someone could post a page from an ABC catalogue showing the hands.
Are they listed by watch model number rather than 214, 218 ect?
Thanks guys. I've continued looking into this and came across a couple of images of Accutron hand packets, they were labelled 214 in the top right corner of the packet, so I'm gonna guess they are their parts and not interchangeable with the Bulova or Caravelle hands :(.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Hey - haven't been vising lately because I really don't like the new layout.

Hands from 214s/218s are interchangeable. Unsure about Bulova/Caravelle.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I engaged my wayback machine to recall Rob B saying something about the stem or pipe on 218 sweep seconds hands being longer than those on hands of 214 models. I'm just guessing that they may not be backwards compatible.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
An excellent resource to use is Ranfft. It comes down to the hole size on the hands.

214 Page:
Hands
1.30 x 0.85 x 0.20mm

218 Page:
Hands
1.40 x 0.85 x 0.18mm

As you can see, there are differences. I suspect a 218 hour hand could be used on a 214 with some modification. I am curious though about the second hand on 218 if it can be used on a 214 since you can't add material (easily).

Also, here is a little something about bulova hand packaging and the ID numbers.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I’ve replaced Bulova hands with Caravelle. I’m thinking in particular of the Calypso style hands on the Oceanographer V, which are the same style as on a Quartz Caravelle 333 with a gray dial. Simple swap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
An excellent resource to use is Ranfft. It comes down to the hole size on the hands.

Also, here is a little something about bulova hand packaging and the ID numbers.
View attachment 224697
Thanks for that UscJake87, I'd had never herd of Ranfft before, very useful. It was actually that very image you have posted that got me asking this question, 😂 . I was looking at some hands for sale and assumed the model code referred to the movement, but in trying to confirm this, I was unable to find either a similar image or a hands envelope that had 214 or 218 or Accutron on it and so I then started to wonder if "Model" actually meant something else and the Bulova hands could be used on Accutrons?....I have since seen an image of a hands envelope with 214 on it, so I now guess the hands are not interchangeable and there are specific Accutron hands for the Accutron models, they are just harder to find.

·
Registered
524 Posts

214 Page:
Hands
1.30 x 0.85 x 0.20mm

218 Page:
Hands
1.40 x 0.85 x 0.18mm

As you can see, there are differences. I suspect a 218 hour hand could be used on a 214 with some modification. I am curious though about the second hand on 218 if it can be used on a 214 since you can't add material (easily).

View attachment 224697
Actually Ranfft is not correct on hand sizes for either the 214 or 218. There is no size difference between 214 and 218 hands. They are 1.40 x 0.9 x 0.18. The actual measured size is about 0,01 - 0.02mm smaller for the hour and minute hands and exact for the second hand. ie, 1.39 x 0.89 x 0.18, but they are called 1.4 x 0.9 x 0.18, if indeed that clarifies anything....

As to interchangeability with Bulova and Caravelle, I have not had the occasion to ever check. However, if you look at the Bulova manual of interchangeable parts (for mechanical watches), you will see that there is a huge amount of interchangeability of hands there between all the models, so that implies great standardization of hand hole sizes across the board.

Regards, Rob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts