WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My nephew age 19 is seriously considering joining up with the French Foreign Legion. Yes, it sounds like a pipe dream but that's what he wants to do.
For some reason the US Marines would not take him. Maybe because he got kicked out of high school for smoking "pot".
He has read a few books on the Legion and watched the 4 part series on You Tube, "Escape To The Legion".
It seems I'm the only family member that gives him moral support. In fact, I told him if I was 20 or 30 years younger that I would go with him.

So, I want to buy him a proper watch. What do you guys recommend? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,203 Posts
better to buy something after graduation when he may have a better idea of what is suitable. Otherwise, something like a plain black gshock.
You don't want anything that makes you stand out when new and his accent could be enough of a magnet for unwanted attention as it is.
They may take it off him on arrival as part of the process of removing the reminders of who he was before remoulding him as a Legionnaire.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From what I understand watching those You Tube documentaries is that a recruit must turn in all his worldly possessions that first day
and then after a certain amount of time IF he conducts himself well, he can then select ONE item to take back.
And, I don't know how authentic that BBC series is, Escape To the Legion, but about half the recruits were wearing watches.
They looked like black on rubber straps. The recruits do get paid but no place to buy things except beer.

And like one poster implied, no reason for a watch anyway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.