WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys ! ! !

I just got finished putting this rather vicious looking 18k Solid Gold Waltham Trench Watch back together about an hour ago ! ! !

It has a superb 17 jewel Riverside movement and it gets even better............. this is a BIG size 0s ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Size 0s enamel black Waltham dials in this condition are EXTREMELY difficult to come by, I've only seen a few that have not been cracked.

Plus, you only see two, maybe three of these 18k solid gold cases per year.

18k solid gold hallmarked in two spots on the case, numbers matching, Birmingham, stamped in 1914 (that is what the "P" stands for if you did not know)

I just installed a brand new mainspring a couple of days ago and the timing is near perfect.

A few days ago I re-lumed the skeleton hands.

When I first got the watch the case back had some pretty bad damage from a previous trench watch band.

As you can see from the pictures I was able to remove this damage, looks a million times better now.

I hand polished the inside of the case, it looked rather dull so I brightened it up a bit.

Please excuse the glare in my pictures, black dials like this are very hard to photograph.

I'm going to take some better ones in the morning when the light is better.

Before.

After.

Before.

After.

New mainspring installation, it was not broken but the old one was getting tired and the amplitude was pretty low.
Look at the detail on the barrel cover, so much detail for a part that will never be seen by the average man.

And now once re-assembly has been completed.

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
Stan...
How could you pass up on a Thread that has "Vicious" in it?!?!

That is really incredible, I can't stop staring at those photos.

That may be my favorite Black Dial yet!
AND U.S.A. on it!!!

Congrats Bro!!!:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you love the "USA" stamped dials I have a crazy one that I'm working on at this minute ! ! !

It has a DOUBLE "USA" stamp on the dial ! ! ! ! ! !

It's an Elgin.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Fantastic! :w00t::thumbup::thumbup::w00t:

Is that a full gold train, or just the center wheel?

BTW, I think the 3rd and 4th shots of the whole watch are the most successful - despite the glare on the crystal, the dial is actually more visible. Yeah, shooting black dials is a bother!!!

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just the center wheel, raised chatons and balance wheel screws are solid gold, 9k from what I have read.

You can take 100 pictures of a black dial watch and maybe only 2 - 3 of them are good.

The morning light in my front room is the best time/place to take very good shots, hopefully the Sun will be out in the morning.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, I might have an issue ! ! ! ! !

I just showed this watch to my Father (who knows nothing about watches) and he asked me "why doesn't the watch have a set a matching golden hands?, that might look better."

So I went through my bins and I found a set of Waltham, model 1900 golden hands. (yes, I have a TON of stuff just laying around)

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

I opened the case, popped off the lumed hands and installed the golden hands.

Now I am torn ! ! ! ! !

The lumed hands are correct but the golden hands look super ! ! ! !

I am leaning more towards the golden hands right now.

I could send the hands to International for that antique looking brownish/golden lum job but that could takes months to get them back.

The color of the golden hands looks a bit off in the pictures but in real life the match is near perfect, very bad lighting right now.

What would you guys do ? ? ? ? ? ?

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am 98% leaning that way right now, I think the golden hands are going to be the ticket !

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
"I could send the hands to International for that antique looking brownish/golden lum job but that could takes months to get them back."

OR

I could buy an "antique looking brownish/golden lum job kit,"
send Tiffany shopping for the weekend and
learn how to do it MYSELF!!!

Sid is torn between the 2 looks...
He digs the Gold, because it just looks cool...

But that darn purist (other 2%)
in him goes hummm?

Man that Gold is cool:thumbup1:

(Sid Vicious)

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I already looked around for the antique style lum kit, can't find one.

Luming the hands is the easy part, doesn't take me very long these days, finding the antique lum kit is more difficult.

I have become more of a purist these days but the golden hands just look so cool ! ! !

Plus, if I remove the hands again and install the other set there is always a risk of damage to the dial.

I would jump off a bridge if I cracked this black enamel dial ! ! ! !

I keep staring at the watch, can't help but to smile and giggle a little bit each time I look at it ! ! !

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Picture posted for the page two viewers (so you don't have to jump back and forth).

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
how many times does a watch with gold case and gold numbers have steel colored hands ? dip the lumed hands .....and you got it .....

oooo almost forgot ....WOW !!!!! that is simply perfect....what a beautiful watch ....

( do you ever get tired of hearing that ? ) ....nah, prolly not !

·
Registered
121 Posts
The watch is fantastic.

I think you should find a set of lumed hands in gold. Certainly in the UK in WWI they did this. This dial would have been lumed, and while the right color the gold hands are not the right style.

Any manufacturing jeweler could replate your hands in 18K

K.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Yeah, skeleton hands are the correct style but finding a set of golden ones for a model 1900, size 0s Waltham is easier said than done.

I don't think that I would lum all of the numerals again, I'd hate to cover up such a beautiful dial.

Does golden lum even exhist? Can't say that I have ever seen any.

A set of thick golden spade hands might look better but once again, a very big risk removing the hands and possibly cracking this dial.

I'd NEVER forgive myself ! ! ! ! !

My gut is telling me to leave well enough alone, if the dial gets cracked the watch is shot ! ! ! ! !

·
Registered
121 Posts
My WWI Longines PW with very similar dial and lumed (gold) skeleton hands, has ordinary original (now aged/brown) lume on the dial, even though the numerals are in gold on enamel.

I believe this is the way they were, yours and mine were both UK WWI premium market - you'd expect them to work on the little details.

I understand you not wanting to take them off again. A crack would be :crying:

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Definitely the high end premium UK market!

I don't think that the American market ever produced 18k solid gold trench watch cases in size 0s, I haven't ever seen one but maybe they did.

I would LOVE to know what the price of this watch was brand new ! ! !

$150.00 USD is just a guess.

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
Definitely the high end premium UK market!

I don't think that the American market ever produced 18k solid gold trench watch cases in size 0s, I haven't ever seen one but maybe they did.

I would LOVE to know what the price of this watch was brand new ! ! !

$150.00 USD is just a guess.
Me too...
Glad you put another photo on page 2!
That Dennison case is SO nice...
Couldn't have been cheap:biggrin:

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Remember this one from about a year ago?

This is the other size 0s, 18k solid gold Waltham Trench Watch that I have had.

This one had a RED XII dial though, same 17 jewel Riverside movement.

Tough choice for top pick though....... RED XII or the black dial ? ? ? ? Very tough choice ! ! !

1 - 20 of 35 Posts