WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad gave me his Spaceview when I was in the 5th grade. Hard to beleive but I wore it daily until it was stolen when I was 24. The Spaceview in the photo was a replacement / tribute to that original watch.

The gold one was my grandfather's retirement watch.

I just got the blue one in earlier in the week. It's pretty cool but my old eyes are having trouble reading the date. Maybe the white on light blue is not enough contrast.

Accutrons are such cool watches.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Nice watches all. A trio of beauties, each one attractive in its own way.

I like the font on the retirement watch. Inscriptions can either look hokey or heartfelt, depending upon how they're done. I think yours is one of the good ones.

Is the tradition of employers giving out service watches (10 years, 25 years etc.) or retirement watches to honor loyal employees completely dead? I mean, you can't exactly compute the ROI on such a thing, can you?

I would have appreciated a nice Accutron for 10 years of loyal service at my previous employer and for co-founding the company, but all I got was a pink slip. I think the days of honorable employers are gone for a while (although they will return some day when employers have to compete for people again).

-abe.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Abe. It's a special watch to me.

I assumed the blue one was from 1969 due to the M9 mark. This morning I noticed a small "N2" mark next to the "M9". Can someone tell me why it has a 1969 and 1972 mark?

Thanks,
Dave

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
Beautiful trio, Dave. :thumbup1: I have no idea why that case back would have both and M9 and an N2 stamped into it, only to say that the M9 (1969) looks like it was stamped at the same time as the serial number! :confused1: Could it be that it was sold as NOS from the factory in 1972, and somehow required the N2 stamp? Maybe someone else will come along with an explanation.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Beautiful watches! Thanks for sharing.

Your Grandfather's retirement presentation watch is exactly the same (case, dial, second hand) as a presentation watch I have and one my friend has. Interesting.

I have seen other Up/Down Day/Date Accutrons with the same dial. Yes, I believe I also would have trouble reading those in low light.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Beautiful trio, Dave. :thumbup1: I have no idea why that case back would have both and M9 and an N2 stamped into it, only to say that the M9 (1969) looks like it was stamped at the same time as the serial number! :confused1: Could it be that it was sold as NOS from the factory in 1972, and somehow required the N2 stamp? Maybe someone else will come along with an explanation.
I have seen that before and Bulova restamped cases that were left over to indicate the year it left the factory. I have only seen it in solid gold cases, not in steel. A nice little accent to a very nice watch

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
All nice watches, I especially like that blue one. Have gotta get one of those up down dials one day. That's a really nice one.
The gold one looks a lot like my first Accutron. I got it used in 1974 and wore it continuously until 1992. So much for the idea that Accutrons are not hardy. I finally found someone to repair it and am very happily using it again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts