WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Administrator
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
A Tour of the Seiko Instruments Factory in Shizukuishi, Japan>>>>>>

<!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: facebook_likebutton -->

<like href="https://www.watchtalkforums.info/forums/content.php?r=252-A-Tour-of-the-Seiko-Instruments-Factory-in-Shizukuishi-Japan&s=4fb5b2e6b41e42da61050094df35ab8b" font="tahoma" layout="standard" show_faces="false" width="300" action="like" colorscheme="light" data-share="true"></like><!-- END TEMPLATE: facebook_likebutton -->

by <!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: memberaction_dropdown -->

JBHII

<!-- END TEMPLATE: memberaction_dropdown -->

Published on 01-13-2009 09:29 AM

Number of Views: 3448

A Tour of the Seiko Instruments Factory

Shizukuishi, Japan

January 13th, 2009

By: John B. Holbrook, II

Copyright 2009 – All Rights Reserved

As part of the 2008 Seiko Media Experience in October, I was given the opportunity to tour the Seiko Instruments factory in Shizukuishi – a city in the northern part of Japan. Where the Seiko-Epson Factory in Shiojiri, Japan has emerged as a focal point for Spring Drive production for Seiko, the Seiko Instruments facility focuses on more traditional mechanical watch manufacturing, and produces mechanical movements across all Seiko model lines. Here’s a photo of me standing in front of the Seiko Instruments factory:

si1.jpg

One of the first things I did on the tour was get some lessons in Japanese techniques for metal engraving by hand.

si2.jpg

Here I am gaining a new appreciation for by-hand watch movement decoration as I try to add some simple pattern work to a self-winding rotor:

si3.jpg

We then ventured out into the factory and saw of the automated equipment for applying various decorations to self-winding rotors:

si13.jpg

The machine in action:

si14.jpg

The machine can be configured to produce many different patters and styles, but here’s some examples:

si10.jpg

si11.jpg

Here’s a machine which can apply “Geneva Stripes” (or “Tokyo Stripes” as their called in this part of the world) to the base plates and bridges of a watch movement:

si16.jpg

The finished products:

si15.jpg

Here’s a CAD (Computer Aided Design) group busy at work:

si17.jpg

The main factory floor for movement component production:

si18.jpg

si4.jpg

si5.jpg

Examples of production:

si6.jpg

We then toured the part of the facility where much of the hand finishing and assembly work is done on the various movements produced here:

si20.jpg

Pre-assembly movement accuracy testing:

si21.jpg

One of Seiko’s Master Watchmakers doing some fine assembly on a very high-end Credor caliber:

si22.jpg

si23.jpg

This Master Watchmaker is working on a Grand Seiko caliber:

si24.jpg

si25.jpg

Balance wheel fitting and assembly – the heart beat of the movement:

si26.jpg

Accuracy testing of some assembled watches:

si27.jpg

My time in both the Seiko-Epson and Seiko Instrument production facilities gave me an entirely new appreciation and respect for Japanese watch making. In my mind, the Japanese horology and production capabilities rival anything I’ve seen in Germany or Switzerland. Most impressive, and I’m deeply appreciative of Seiko giving me the opportunity to experience their craft first hand – thanks Seiko!

**Photos & Text Copyright 2009 WATCH TALK FORUMS. No part of this report can be reproduced outside of WATCH TALK FORUMS without the expressed permission of John B. Holbrook, II.

This article was originally published in forum thread:

A Tour of the Seiko Instruments Factory in Shizukuishi, Japan>>>>>>
started by
JBHII
View original post

Tags: <!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: tagbit_wrapper -->

factory,

factory tour,

grand seiko,

seiko

11x11progress.gif
<!-- END TEMPLATE: tagbit_wrapper -->