WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A timepiece for my graduation $500-$700??

Good Evening All!

I am a first generation college student and I will be graduating in April of this year with my graduate degree! I fathomed the thought of purchasing a class ring but quickly dismissed the idea as I know it won't be something I would wear much, if at all. The reason why I chose my price range of $500-$700 is because that's how much the cheapest (only price I'd be willing to pay) class ring would cost and my family members agreed they'd purchase it for me.

Instead, I will be asking for a watch. A classic timepiece that I will enjoy much more than any class ring. So I come to you guys for your wise advice and guidance lol in steering me into the the right direction on what I should suggest my familia to gift me. I would love a watch that could be engraved but it's not a necessity and also preferably new simply because if used, I'm not sure the watch will be around by the time it would be purchased in April.

I MUCH prefer something auto or handwind but might make an exception for quartz. Nothing below 42mm (will entertain all suggestions). Also, I'm looking into something thats dressy and/or casual. Your suggestions are much appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
16,890 Posts
Following your guidelines, I'd recommend a Tissot PRS-516 it's:
*Automatic
*42mm case
*$463/Amazon ($675 at a nationally-known authorized dealer/ "jewelry galleria" before any discounts are applied)
I'm afraid it has an exhibition back, so engraving is probably a no-can-do.

You might owe it to yourself to see what the brand ORIENT has to offer. They are more affordable, probably as good as Tissot, and have more choices
at and over 42mm.

Here's my 3-year old 516 for a real-life look at it. I added the strap last summer to save wear & tear on the Tissot branded leather.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your suggestions! That is a handsome looking Tissot. However, I already have a Tissot and an Orient. I would love to have something with a bit more exclusivity, i.e. Christopher Ward

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As such a momentous occasion for your family, I have a feeling the ring is probably more important to them, and I would "let" them give it to you.
Although I see what you are saying, why let my family waste their money on something I know I won't wear. My mom is probably going to question my decision at first but its been made :D

Any more suggestions?

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
706 Posts
i think you should check out what Tissot, Hamilton, and Christopher Ward have in that price range. Whether you're looking for something that is a classic dress watch, casual look, or sport type, all three makers cover it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I don't get it. Your family is low income, but you're willing to waste $500 of their dollars on a WATCH...that will only be significant to YOU? If your family is poor, don't make them buy you a nice watch, let them buy you something cheap but with unlimited sentimental value for them. Then, if you like watches SO much that you wanna spend half a grand on them, save up your money, and buy yourself what you like after you, I don't know, get a job. Save up for your high standards later, and lower your standards for them for now. Or, you know, wait until you've learned a thing or two about watches.

I'm sorry you're not getting enough feedback in the "Excellent high-end luxury watches for under $500" category.

·
Registered
20,788 Posts
Three words for your consideration in that price range, Ham il ton
I agree. And I have it on excellent authority this LNIB will be in the Sales Forum soon for under $500... :wink:

I think a Hamilton gives an excellent value for the dollar regardless of which model you go with.

Regarding the class ring. If your family wants to get you a ring, I agree - let them. I understand you think it'll be a waste of money and not something you'll wear and you don't want to waste their money. I fully understand that. But that class ring has value to them, especially if you're the first to graduate college in your family. I was in a similar situation (albeit 20+ years ago). I too wanted to forgo the class ring and get a watch. In the end I went with the ring as my parents really wanted me to have one. I'm not a ring person and have never worn it outside maybe a few times when I first received it and only in my parents presence. You could definitely make the case that from a financial perspective it was a complete waste of money. However, while I don't wear it I do have it in my valet box drawer, and do look at it now and then, remembering back with fond memories of what it represents. Last year while visiting me my mother asked if I still had it, and wanted to see it. Once she was holding it I could tell she was thinking back to those days years ago and my graduation. The look on her face as she thought back to then was worth every cent of the ring and then some.

My point is while the ring may be 'a waste' to you, it could be something of immense enjoyment and pride to them for years and years to come. And as a token of your families 1st college graduate, something to maybe be passed down to your son / daughter years from now. A watch can be bought anytime, a class ring only once.

Again, just my 2c from someone who's been there, went against what I wanted to make my family happy and 20 years later am very glad I did and have not regretted it for a second. Oh, and for Christmas after getting my 1st job, I got the watch I'd originally wanted for graduation. Couldn't even begin to tell you where it is now, it's long lost / gone.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
I have three new Hamiltons for myself and have given a couple as gifts. There is a 42mm Intramatic that should be close to that range. The 43mm Jazzmaster Slim can also be had in that price range.

Also, a non-chrono Jazzmaster Square should be available within that budget. It says it's 38mm across but being square, it has a VERY substantial wrist presence.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Guys, the OP's question was NOT ring vs. watch! I'm sure his mother has eloquently made all these arguments and more.

I have my class rings from HS and law school (couldn't afford one for college and by that point no one else was buying, lol); they are precious to me but I never wear them.

For HS graduation, my dad bought me a Mido Multistar 34 mm. automatic, 14k gold filled, which is even more precious and it DOES get worn.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.