WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A review of the men's EBEL Brasilia Men's Automatic 1215615

Last fall, I purchased the Men's EBEL Brasilia Men's Automatic 1215615. I chose this model because I wanted a classically styled tank watch, I did not want to pay the premium for a Cartier Tank Francaise, but I wanted the quality of the Cartier.

Before purchasing the watch, I knew very little about the EBEL brand. From Chronocentric and Europastar, I learned that compared favorably to Omega and Breitling and is considered a tier above TAG Heuer and Baume and Mercier. Retail, the watch is priced like Omega and Breitling. However, with discounts it is priced similarly to a discounted Baume and Mercier Men's Hampton automatic.

As stated more fully below, using the Cartier as the bench mark for men tank watches, I think that the watch is an exceptionally fine timepiece, as well as an exceptional value for the money:

1. Movement: 9/10:

This watch uses the top grade version of the ETA 2892, widely regarded as one of the best mass made three hand mechanical movements in the world. It runs impeccably, gaining one second per day, and the sweep of the second is the smoothest of any watch I have owned.

This is the same movement as used in the previous generation Cartier.

This movement is a step up from the movement used in the Baume and Mercier Hampton men's watches of the same vintage because the Baume and Mercier's use the lesser ETA 2824 movement.

I am giving the movement 9 out of 10 points. I am deducting a point because it lacks the COSC.

2. Case: 10/10:

The case is rectangular and curved. It measures 32.5mm in width, 46 mm in length, and, approximately 11 mm thick. The case is one piece and made from surgical grade stainless steel in a high polish.

The case back is a screw down style in surgical grade stainless steel. It contains the words EBEL 50 mm WR, automatic, Swiss Made, and sapphire crystal.

The lugs are short and curved so that they are nearly indistinguishable from the rest of the case.

Because the curves of the case hug to the natural contours of my wrist, I find that that the case is comfortable.

It's finish is an immaculate high polish.

I have since tried on the Cartier Tank for men and find no difference in quality. The major difference in style between my EBEL and the Cartier is that my EBEL is larger, and, therefore, more masculine.

Therefore, I am awarding the case 10 out of 10 points.

Dial: 9/10:

The dial is pleasantly unique. It is matte black, with a guilloche pattern in an inner square. The dial uses silver finished sword hands, silver finished applied silver roman numeral markers, and silver painted hash marks on the inner square to designate seconds.

The date window appears at 6:00 in black on a white background. The word Swiss appears on one side of the date window. A small applied marker appears below the date window. The word made appears on the right side of the date window.

It is beautiful, of the highest quality, and is not an homage to the Cartier or other brands. However, the lume is terrible. Therefore, I am giving it 9/10 points and deducting one for the lack of lume.

4. Crystal: 10/10

You can't beat a front and rear anti reflective coated sapphire crystal.

5. Crown: 9/10:

The crown is made from surgical grade stainless steel, proportionately sized, and partially hidden by the bezel.

Rendered in a high polish finish, the crown displays a lovely engraving of the Ebel logo.

It winds smoothly. Refreshingly, the crown resets the date in a counter clockwise motion, so as it distinguish it from setting the time.

The only issue with the crown is that it is difficult for me to to pull out because the bezel covers it. I understand why EBEL chose this design: It keeps your focus on the beautiful dial and not surrounding components. Although stylistically preferable, it is less functionally practical.

Therefore, I am awarding the crown 9 out of 10 points. I am deducting a point because of the minor difficulty in operation.

6. Bracelet: 10/10:

The bracelet is 20mm in diameter, with satin finished h links, high polished center links, and held together by screws. The links are solid, fully integrated with one another, and fully integrated with the case. The articulation of the links is smooth as silk and the fit and finish of the complete product is superb.

7. Clasp: 9/10:

The clasp is made from surgical grade stainless steel, hidden butterfly in construction, and without a push button release.

The inside of the clasp displays the word EBEL.

It is smoothly integrated with the rest of the watch.

8. Fit and finish: 10/10:

Simply put, I find the fit and finish of this watch to be the equal of watches costing much more.

9. Packaging: 10/10:

This EBEL comes with a plastic warranty card, owner's manual, in a cardboard oater box, and a salmon leather inner box and lovely cushion.

I find the leather box to be superior to those from Omega.

10. Value: 10/10:

After months of looking, I am unable to find any other tank watch of this quality, for this price.

Grand Total: 96/100: A

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
A review without pictures? You can not be serious! :laugh::lol:

Did you know that you have the second best screen name ever here? The best was "stupid". Imagine the responses whenever he asked a question. :w00t::laugh:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the compliment on the screen name

Thank you for the compliment on the screen name. Growing up, I learned how to play tennis at McEnroe's club.
The phrase pretty much captures my view about life. I am posting pictures by Monday.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts