WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the basket case that I bought from Ramon's deep sea treasure chest...

He advertised it as WILL NOT RUN and disclosed all the other stuff you can see.
Well; as with many of the treasures I've gotten from Ramon; this one was actually running when I opened his package!
Sure it was running a bit slow but it was working properly. A complete service brought the movement back to a good state with a decent swing to the balance and running a bit fast(no doubt from the cleaned parts and fresh oil). A little bit of trial and error regulating and it is now running within +10 seconds per day. I'm sure it can be dialed in tighter but I don't have a timing machine and I'm not that anal about accuracy anyway.

Since I got it and apart from the service, I have replaced the crystal retaining ring(the original was cracked) and I stuck an AM 6309-7040 dial on it so I could wear it.
There is a 'new' bezel insert coming and an AM -7290 dial. With these; I will also install a 'new' crystal.
The AM dial will receive a bit of 'aging' so it doesn't look so glaringly green and the hands will get a nice clean up and reluming.

Until then, this is what it looks like...

This whole project was inspired by Poseidon-Jim who tried to get me into a 6309-7290 a couple of times...but for one reason or another just never happened until now:blushing:

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Nice pick up :thumbup:

This whole project was inspired by Poseidon-Jim who tried to get me into a 6309-7290 a couple of times...but for one reason or another just never happened until now:blushing:
Jim has that effect on directing people into the Seiko way :lol:

·
Registered
722 Posts
As is!!

What a great "lived in" look. I'm so obssesed by maintaining that "brand new look" that I worry every time I thump a watch in my collection. Many of my pieces are big and easy to thump. I need a watch like this. A good timepiece that has been to war and back and is beyond the little daily accidents of life. Worry free. Not a beater, but a veteran of foreign wars, yeah?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What a great "lived in" look. I'm so obssesed by maintaining that "brand new look" that I worry every time I thump a watch in my collection. Many of my pieces are big and easy to thump. I need a watch like this. A good timepiece that has been to war and back and is beyond the little daily accidents of life. Worry free. Not a beater, but a veteran of foreign wars, yeah?
That's a great idea! I think I'll research the history of this watch and write it's life story:biggrin:

Meanwhile, these vintage watches with wabi are perfect for worryworts; you'll never know if this scratch or that ding was yours or a previous owner's :laugh:

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Congrats Archie, you finally got one of these very wearable 6309 slim cased divers

and she looks really nice right now. I knew one day you'd finally get one and see just how great and wearable a watch these are.
:biggrin:

I love the full sized 6309-704X divers, but no other vintage seiko feels as nice and wearable as the slim taper cased 6309-729X models, they just stay put with a lower center of gravity and are weighted perfectly the way I feel about them.

Looks like good old Ramon got a good one into your hands & I'm glad you were able to give it a good cleaning & tweak the movements timing into a very good gate!

Congrats & I'm happy for you...
:thumbup1:

Cheers & Thanks,
Jimmy

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You sir are a bad influence!

and she looks really nice right now. I knew one day you'd finally get one and see just how great and wearable a watch these are.
:biggrin:

I love the full sized 6309-704X divers, but no other vintage seiko feels as nice and wearable as the slim taper cased 6309-729X models, they just stay put with a lower center of gravity and are weighted perfectly the way I feel about them.

Looks like good old Ramon got a good one into your hands & I'm glad you were able to give it a good cleaning & tweak the movements timing into a very good gate!

Congrats & I'm happy for you...

Cheers & Thanks,
Jimmy
Yes, Ramon does give me some pretty good working watches. This is only about the 30th one I've plucked from his treasure chest.
Shortly after I got the 6309; I grabbed the 7002-7020 and last night I did it again...a 7002-7000 with what looks to be a pretty decent dial. If the movement doesn't respond like Ramon's watches usually do, I have an NOS 7s36B I want to try in one of these cases. If the date wheels are swappable, I should be good to go :thumbup1:

Anyway; you are the one who pushed me into these vintage Seiko divers:laugh:

·
Banned
39 Posts
Hey Arch! Nice to see you Jimmy on here! Nice 6309...that will be a fun>

project. But it looks fine with what you have already done. You have always been afraid that they would be too big for you, but it seems to fit you well. Congrats. :thumbup:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What can I say...I was wrong

project. But it looks fine with what you have already done. You have always been afraid that they would be too big for you, but it seems to fit you well. Congrats. :thumbup:
This case is not too big for the 6.75" wrist. In fact, it fits very well and is comfortable to boot! :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Thanks Archie...LOL, I hope pushing you into these was a good thing

and by the sounds of it so far, it looks like it was! :thumbup1:

Congrats on the 6309, and the 7002 you scored from ramons deep sea treasure chest. I think your going to enjoy them very much & I know you can take care of the movements if they need alittle service and tweaking no problem.

Cheers and excellent to see these threads!
:001_smile:

Jimmy

Yes, Ramon does give me some pretty good working watches. This is only about the 30th one I've plucked from his treasure chest.
Shortly after I got the 6309; I grabbed the 7002-7020 and last night I did it again...a 7002-7000 with what looks to be a pretty decent dial. If the movement doesn't respond like Ramon's watches usually do, I have an NOS 7s36B I want to try in one of these cases. If the date wheels are swappable, I should be good to go :thumbup1:

Anyway; you are the one who pushed me into these vintage Seiko divers:laugh:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The AM dial arrived...

and it's about average for these things. If I can't age the bright green markers; I'll probably have to buy another donor with a decent dial :wink:

If push comes to shove, I'll put the original(all scrubbed clean) back on...it will at least go with the original bezel insert and crystal it's getting.
I don't care if it's a little worn looking but that's better than shiny new AM that looks obvious.

Any ideas on how to make the bright green AM markers look wabi'd and grey...I tried coke and tea with no success?

·
Registered
43 Posts
This case is not too big for the 6.75" wrist. In fact, it fits very well and is comfortable to boot! :biggrin:
I agree, Archie. The 6309, 7002 and the 007/009 series are a nice wearable size for just about everybody.

I'm a new:crying:bie here, just to introduce myself, I like badly dubbed foreign movies, I don't know why, and monster truck shows.
I've got an 007 that I really like.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Sorry to be late to this thread, but wanted to weigh in. I've purchase many Seiko Divers from Ramon and have always been satisfied with them and his accurate descriptions. I recently purchased five 6309 and five 7002 divers from him to mod and sell and was thinking I should be able to finish four of each and use the other two for parts, but afte initial inspection all ten will be modded only needing the parts I was going to replace anyway.
He's a very fair seller.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Wha are you confused about?

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I guess he must have been confused & must of said something not too good

Because it appears the dude got him self banned.

Anyone know what he had to say or posted before the bannishment was applied?
Jim

Wha are you confused about?
Hi Cuad,
I'm with you & Archie on Ramon. He's a top notch guy and one that does all he can to please the customer even when little things happen, he helps out like no one else can & thats a great thing.
The 7002's are super models IMO, my brothers been wearing his 7002-7039 for a good 16 years with no service and she keeps as good of time today as she did when she was nearly new & still has a good long power reserve. (A rock solid and sturdy caliber they are)

Jim

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
and by the sounds of it so far, it looks like it was! :thumbup1:

Congrats on the 6309, and the 7002 you scored from ramons deep sea treasure chest. I think your going to enjoy them very much & I know you can take care of the movements if they need alittle service and tweaking no problem.

Cheers and excellent to see these threads!
:001_smile:

Jimmy
Well; I now have 2 7002s with a third on the way!
They might have been 6309s but Ramon hasn't had many of those lately. I'm just cherry picking the 7002s since they are plentiful right now.

The 6309-7290 and the 7002-7000 look almost identical with the exception of the day display and they wear exactly the same. I'm kind of torn between the more technical 6309 movement and the very much simplified 7002...love them both but supply is pushing me to the 7002s :wink:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Also, I've noticed that the 7002s seem to be in better condition overall than the 6309s I'm seing lately. Anyway, once you mod them they both look amazing.:001_smile:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts