WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I posted pics of my new Lum-Tec 300M-1 a forum member suggested he thought there was a resemblance between the 300M-1 and the Omega Planet Ocean. Here are the two watches side by side. Remember my 300M-1 has the 40mm case while my Planet Ocean has a 42mm case. What do you think about a resemblance? Cheers, Bill P.

·
Registered
691 Posts
At first glance they do look similar. However, once you refocus and LOOK at the watches, then you can see a myriad of differences that readily distinguishes one from the other. No ... they don't look the same ... only a passing resemblance.

By the way, Bill, seeing them side by side for the first time, I actually like the looks of the 300M-1 better than the PO. Being the HUGE Omega fan that I am, I'm surprised to hear myself say that.

Oh, and the battle between the lumes is a no-contest ... the 300M wins, hands-down. Slam dunk.

OkeefenokeeJoe

·
Registered
618 Posts
I have the 45mm 300m and a 45.5mm PO. I should put them next to each other, too. ;-)

There are many differences (dial, bezel, crown, etc) but the bracelets are very similar. And this is isn't a bad thing. My PO bracelet is one of my favorite things about that watch. FYI, I PO bracelet costs about as much as a 300m-1

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the 45mm 300m and a 45.5mm PO. I should put them next to each other, too. ;-)

There are many differences (dial, bezel, crown, etc) but the bracelets are very similar. And this is isn't a bad thing. My PO bracelet is one of my favorite things about that watch. FYI, I PO bracelet costs about as much as a 300m-1
Yes, please put your 45mm versions side by side and do a shot so we can see how they look. Cheers, Bill P.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Resemblance ? I can name Tens of watches that will, in one way or another look like an Omega PO or a Rolex.
Most divers do. Especially from smaller brands.

I own a Planet Ocean Calibre 8500 (45.5 mm on steel) myself ...and I don't think the LT looks a lot like the Omega.
Not more than other divers.

So if a forum member think there is (much) resemblance between the Omega and the Lum-Tec, I suggest a pair of classes.
If he named a Alpha, I would say he was right. But now ... he isn't. :wink:

·
Super Moderator
16,571 Posts
Be nice! He didn't say there was "(much)" resemblance between the two, just that there was some!

·
Registered
618 Posts
Yes, please put your 45mm versions side by side and do a shot so we can see how they look. Cheers, Bill P.

I'll be the first to admit that I don't have a Rolex or one of those other higher-end divers. So maybe this is just a common bracelet style.

(this might be the only time that I will actually need the bracelet extender on the 300M-1XL ;)

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, sgrenald, for posting the side by side shot. The 45mm L-T looks bigger than the 45mm Omega PO to my eye. The L-T also looks thicker. Cheers, Bill P.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Thanks, sgrenald, for posting the side by side shot. The 45mm L-T looks bigger than the 45mm Omega PO to my eye. The L-T also looks thicker. Cheers, Bill P.
The LT is DEFINITELY thicker. Although it "feels" thicker than it is, if that makes any sense. The bracelet is also wider (24mm vs 22, I'm guessing)

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ummm, sgrenald, would a 40mm 300M-1 have been more similar to the PO? It would appear so.

I know I'm crazy about the size of my 40mm 300M-1 and the 42mm size of my Planet Ocean. Both are perfect on my 7 1/2" wrist. I have found through experiene that watches bigger than 44mm are simply too big for me. Also, I don't like a thick watch. Cheers, Bill P.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Ummm, sgrenald, would a 40mm 300M-1 have been more similar to the PO? It would appear so.

I know I'm crazy about the size of my 40mm 300M-1 and the 42mm size of my Planet Ocean. Both are perfect on my 7 1/2" wrist. I have found through experiene that watches bigger than 44mm are simply too big for me. Also, I don't like a thick watch. Cheers, Bill P.
It could be. 40mm is usually too small for me, which is why I went for 45mm. If I'd had the chance to see them both, side-by-side, I may have chosen differently. Maybe...

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A side by side comparison is always helpful. However, not always possible. I have learned through experience what size/weight watch feels good and what does not.

I hope that Chris will be making more models in the 40-42mm size range for 2013. Cheers, Bill P.

·
Registered
6,084 Posts
Bill, I would have never made the connection. similarities, sure.. they are both dive watches.. I don't see a close resemblance.
I can't tell from a pic, is the LT bracelet curved like the P.O.?

both great looking, but don't look like kin to me.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Both are great looking watches but personally I don't see any resemblance. The dial is completely different; the hands are completely different; the bezel is completely different; the case is completely different (well maybe not completely, but not all that similar either). What am I missing?

Nice watches, BTW, you guys!

·
Registered
618 Posts
Both are great looking watches but personally I don't see any resemblance. The dial is completely different; the hands are completely different; the bezel is completely different; the case is completely different (well maybe not completely, but not all that similar either). What am I missing?

Nice watches, BTW, you guys!
The lugs are similiar, and the bracelet is VERY similar.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.