WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.......ok say there's a Gruen watch that says ..."Gruen Curvex " on the dial ......now this is the question ......if there is no co-oberating evidence on the movement , such as the name Curvex or the movement number ....such as 330 or 440 .....and is it 370 ? one of the other curvex movements? ...and I am pretty sure that the 300 is also a genuine curvex movement number .......

now, without anything etched into the metal of the movement, is this watch most likely to be a re-dialed , perhaps a Veri-Thin? ......and not really a curvex at all ...?????

got my eye on a Curvex so I would apprieciate a speedy answer .......thanks !

·
Registered
254 Posts
You should be able to tell from the curvature of the train and barrel bridges. Other movements are flat across the back of the movement. Joel

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
I prefer the original 311 and 330 Curvex movements. But 370 and 440 are also correct Curvexes -- athought they are so short that it seems a bit silly to call them curved. You will see a LOT of 500/501 movements with dials misprinted "Curvex" since the 500/501 shares parts with the 311, and a 500/501 can also fit a dial intended for the 311 or 330. More often a 500/501 dial is merely printed incorrectly with a Curvex design.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
I've seen a lot of elongated Gruen watches that people redial as a curvex just to make more money with it. Like Joel said the movement will generally be curved in some fashion to allow ample efficiency through a long curved case.

Here is a cool advertisement from Gruen when they were making Curvex.

And Just for you Sal:

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
But do notice that the curves and the length of the cases were GREATLY exaggerated by the artists. :001_rolleyes:

BTW, what book is that with the Gruen ads? The one the guy (Mike, I think) from the Gruen Forum sells? (I never did get one... but the ads look fun.)

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A couple of things made me ask that question ......the odd one, is that Gruen I had re-dialed, that IS a Curvex ( 440 movement though)...but the re-dial came back a Veri-Thin ....but as it is a genuine Curvex, back it went to ID to be correctly dialed ...ao that would be a case of an honest mistake ....and could just have easily happened the other way another time....

but as to Curvexes , curvexes...real and imagined ...right from the very start of my getting into vintage watches, I took notice that lots of watches are called curvex ....but a Bulova cannot be a Curvex......they are made only by Gruen .....one of the very first things I learned.....:tongue_smilie:

and if there's one really important thing I have learned here it is that the sellers on ebay are not always the most knowledgble , and some of them are out and out ......gasp....cheats ......and that you can't use what's on the dial as the only requirement of determining if it is a genuine Curvex, so, recalling that the only Curvex movements that I have seen ....either have the numbers and some of them say Curvex on the biggest of the flat cogs( izzat what those are ?)

I had to ask......does it need one or the other or both, to be a genuine Curvex movement .......

some of them actually have a curved movement, but not always labeled??? ......:blink:

*snort* ....isn't that just like the Gruen company ?! the most consistant characteristic they have is their inconsistancy .....:w00t:

Reactions: Valtyr

·
Registered
65 Posts
Salleh,

This has been a problem for as long as there have been Curvexes. There are a few constant truths that can be a guide in helping you with this issue.

1. No matter what the shape of the watch, "Curvex" was a trademarked name of the Gruen Watch Co., and it applies to the movement, not the watch. Therefore, only certain Gruens are true Curvexes.

2. In mens watches, the true Curvex calibers are 311, 330, 440 and 370. The 311 does not ever say "Curvex"' while the 330 has it inscribed on the lower balance bridge. In the 440, the word "Curvex" is usually, but not always, imprinted on the ratchet wheel. The 370, which was the last Curvex, (and also known as the Curve-a-metric), "Curvex" is inscribed in tiny letters above the detent button. All Curvex movements are 17 jewels. Ladies Curvexes use either caliber 520 or 350.

3. Curvexes were cased in either gold-filled, or solid 14k cases. They were made in yellow, pink, and white versions, and the movement caliber is usually stamped in the case back, other than in some very early 311s and some 14k 440 models. There are some Guildite (Stainless steel) models from the European market, but these are usually not marked Curvex and do not have numbers in the cases. There was also one 330 cased in platinum. Several similar case styles were used for both Curvex and Veri-thin models, so let the numbers in the case back guide you to help determine authenticity. There were no stainless back/ gold-filled top cases used for Curvexes. This was used for less expensive curved watches.

As others have said, dials can be refinished or swapped around. 311 dials interchange with 500 and 355 dials, 440 will interchange with 430 and 335, and 370 will swap with 405 veri-thins. This was a problem even during the active life of the 440, so the factory instructed that they would only supply replacement Curvex dials if the original was sent in with the order. I've had dials marked Curvex on 165, 430, 405, 500 and 335 models, and probably others. I've also scored some good Curvexes by recognizing them when the dial is incorrectly marked, so ask about the caliber of the movement and the case numbers if you aren't sure. Many fake Curvexes are out there, and a seller might not know that what he has is not authentic, or they may know and be hoping that you don't.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts