WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering the idea of beginning a modest watch collection. But the market is a little overwhelming to a new collector! There is a ton of wonderful information here on this site and I've read through a lot of it. But I don't see a lot of information pertaining to the different brands and their respective traits. My first watch will be of the budget variety for sure. I just don't want to buy something that I'll be embarrassed to wear later on in my collecting life. I want to avoid buying the Bose of watches!

I have my eyes on a couple of Bulova models at Kohls department store. Am I wrong to hesitate buying a watch from a store like this? Bulova seems to be well regarded here on these forums. I just want to make sure that I'm not missing an obvious better buy in this price range. I really do like the looks of the Bulovas, but I want to make sure that it's quality is more than skin deep.

Thanks for humoring yet another newbie!

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Bulova is a good brand with a long history. I really like the idea of the Precisionist line, but none of the designs "sing to me" unfortunately.

What is your budget? What style of watch (sport, dress, etc) are you looking for?

·
Banned
28,291 Posts
Welcome. Bulova is well regarded. I've got a soft spot for the brand since my vintage career started with them. Citizen now owns them and they make a good product; nothing to be embarassed over later down the line. The other usual suspects in the value discussion are Hamilton, Seiko, Christopher Ward, and Orient.

Thanks for humoring yet another newbie!
We might bust your stones a little. It's all in good fun, and it's just what we do. :001_tt2::lol:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Take a look at vintage watches before you buy
Research and read, look at the completed Ebay auctions to gauge prices
Buy what you like and what appeals to your eye
My feeling is that it is easy to buy, difficult to sell so buy wisely

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.