WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does this auction frustrate anyone else? As someone trying to obtain an engraved Tonneau it, it does me.

Also, not that I'm an expert eBay seller, but I'm sure you could realize a higher selling price if they were auctioned separately.

Do you all think he will sell them during this auction?

Auction number: 230730923088

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I doubt they'll sell... Not very good pictures and he's not sure if they're gold or gold fill? Certainly not going to get his BIN.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I would think at $500 they would sell. He has several photos, and some are very clear. The watchbands even seem to be better condition than stated. If I had to guess the guy just got the watches this week at some storage war and is only claiming to have owned them for 7 years to make them more appealing. If I wanted one of the watches I would buy the lot and then sell the one I didnt want.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Or take them to a jeweler to see if they're solid gold or gold filled? Care to make a wager? $500 will get you the answer and $300 in watches. You can get a nice GF tonneau for $150 or less.

·
Registered
40 Posts
in the seller's defense, he has only had the watches for 7 years. Hardly enough time to learn anything about them. Only $150 for these? That is pretty reasonable.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Of course you can pay a lot more if you want to. If you were going to pay $250 for one you'd want to see very good pictures, recently serviced, etc. Solid gold is a whole different story of course.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Or take them to a jeweler to see if they're solid gold or gold filled? Care to make a wager? $500 will get you the answer and $300 in watches. You can get a nice GF tonneau for $150 or less.
These seem to be engraved. Does that make a difference in your $150 figure? Hope Florida is great! Im sure it's better than Chicago right now at least.

·
Registered
455 Posts
These seem to be engraved. Does that make a difference in your $150 figure? Hope Florida is great! Im sure it's better than Chicago right now at least.
Yes, they are the engraved versions. Assuming they are working, these seem to be very nice watches with original dials. Not so easy to find anymore. I would pay $150 each for these in a heartbeat.

However, it doesn't look like $150, or even $250 each is going to get it done. That's just the starting bid. The seller is looking for $750 each. Now if these were solid gold, maybe. As gold-filled, I don't think so.

The seller seems to be selling style over substance.

Take care,
gatorcpa

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I just got a YGF one the other day for $105. I'll post it when it arrives. I got this very nice one a few months ago for $126 if I recall correctly. They can be had if you're patient and lucky.

Of course, if the seller is well known, has good photos and has a good reputation, then a nice recently serviced example is worth more. And if we all see it and want it... then it'll cost one of us north of $250.

Reactions: DrManhattan

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
$100 Tonneau

This seemingly very nice GGF-p Tonneau sold last week for $100. In this economy, and as relatively common as a Tonneau is, I see little reason to pay more than $200 for a nice white gold filled luminous Tonneau and perhaps $250 for a nice green gold filled luminous Tonneau. Patience is a virtue!

(If memory serves, I paid $87 on eBay for my GGF-e Tonneau.)

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
2 tone?

I just got a YGF one the other day for $105. I'll post it when it arrives. I got this very nice one a few months ago for $126 if I recall correctly. They can be had if you're patient and lucky.

Of course, if the seller is well known, has good photos and has a good reputation, then a nice recently serviced example is worth more. And if we all see it and want it... then it'll cost one of us north of $250.

Nice -- is that a two tone dial?

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts
This one sold last month for $215, so very nice ones can be found at very reasonable prices if you're patient.

Thats sharp. Are those the original hands and dial? I'm watching several Tonneaus right now so hopefully I can snag one. The pair of engraved ones is exceedingly temping however :blush:
...I'm in Johannesburg heading home tomorrow. Hopefully this little beauty is there waiting for me!

In last month's "Incoming" thread Tom indicated that the dial was correct and, as far as I know, the hands are as well.

Can't recommend Tonneaus highly enough; all versions are fantastic. IMO, along with the original Perry model, it is the best early vintage Hamiltons by numerous measures; size, looks, value for money, quality.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
This seemingly very nice GGF-p Tonneau sold last week for $100. In this economy, and as relatively common as a Tonneau is, I see little reason to pay more than $200 for a nice white gold filled luminous Tonneau and perhaps $250 for a nice green gold filled luminous Tonneau. Patience is a virtue!

(If memory serves, I paid $87 on eBay for my GGF-e Tonneau.)
That's the one I got for $105 ($5 for shipping). Hopefully it's in nice shape.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
...I'm in Johannesburg heading home tomorrow. Hopefully this little beauty is there waiting for me!

In last month's "Incoming" thread Tom indicated that the dial was correct and, as far as I know, the hands are as well.

Can't recommend Tonneaus highly enough; all versions are fantastic. IMO, along with the original Perry model, it is the best early vintage Hamiltons by numerous measures; size, looks, value for money, quality.
Roger, that looks swell, just up my alley!

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts