WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
28,291 Posts
First, welcome to Watch Talk Forums! Your wife did well. :thumbup1:

Second, that is a case reference 168.025, the last of the Constellations with the better movements. It has a caliber 564 inside - one of Omega's best if not the best of it's era. Don't run the watch too much since it's certainly bone dry and needs a cleaning & oiling so the parts don't get damaged.

Third, the bezel and crystal lift off to get the movement out so don't attempt it at home. That model was only made for 5 or 6 years in the late 60's and early 70's but with the serial number we can give you an exact year.

Last, the crystal can be replaced for a small sum... maybe $30 or $40 for the part and a little extra for labor, but have it done while the watch is getting serviced.

You'll have a very nice special occasion dress watch when finished! :thumbup:

PS - it's pie pan, not pie plate. No harm done though.

·
Banned
28,291 Posts
I looked at the hour markers along their outer edges. There appears to be a dark residue near some of them. I wasn't sure if it was lume or patina (or my eyes).
You'd be very surprised what will come off a dial if you know what substance to apply.

..... or I should say if your watchmaker knows what substance to apply.

The minute markers appear to be consistant and regular under a loop (when I look between all of the crystal's scratches) but I'm keeping my mind open to all posibilities.
What was seen in the first group of photos looked like distortion from the crystal scuffs and scratches to me, magnified by the camera's fisheye effect in macro. The shape of Constellation pie pan dials makes for a tough read on condition under a bad crystal. If you stick with the vintage game long enough making educated guesses on dials is a necessary skill if you want to sift gems from the mud.

PS 3.1415926535
Oh no, another one with bad puns. :001_rolleyes::laugh:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts