WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys !

I've been putting in CRAZY hours sense I got back from the NAWCC Del Mar Regional a few days ago.

Here are a few that I've finished sense I got back.

1916 Hampden civilian to military trench watch conversion, 7 jewels, size 3/0s, Dueber 20 year gold filled case.

This is probably the BEST conversion that I've ever seen, who ever did the conversion work KNEW what they were doing ! ! !

1909 Waltham Transition Trench Watch, 7 jewels, size 0s, B&B "Royal" Gold Filled case.

1926 Elgin Wire Lug Wrist Watch, size 3/0s, 7 jewels, 9k solid gold Dennison case hallmarked for 1926.

1918 Elgin "Black Star Dial" Trench Watch, 14k SOLID GOLD Illinois case, size 3/0s, 7 jewels.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, it's a dial overlay conversion ! ! !

Best looking one that I've seen.

Fits this dial to perfection!

Look at the sub-dial, the cut is perfect, it was cut for this Hampden dial.

BUT, it's NOT paper, it's something else.

Unknown material that I haven't seen before.

Some sort of plastic perhaps as it has a bit of a shine to it, I know that sounds kind of crazy but that's my best guess.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unknown when the conversion was done, probably in the Great War era would be my guess as many watches were converted during this time period.

The BEST conversion that I've ever seen, more often than not they look like hell.

The lugs do not look to be newly added, nicely aged with the rest of the case, superb craftsmanship.

·
Banned
615 Posts
Unknown when the conversion was done, probably in the Great War era would be my guess as many watches were converted during this time period.

The BEST conversion that I've ever seen, more often than not they look like hell.

The lugs do not look to be newly added, nicely aged with the rest of the case, superb craftsmanship.
What you mean by conversion from civilian to military?
Really I am not understanding that. Do you mean from a pocket watch (ladies) to wristwatch?
Is it a changed dial?
Dial looks nearly new?

Thanks to explain

Regards

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Adam,

Yes, converted from a pocket watch to a wrist watch.

Look at the picture with the advert, it shows this type of overlay for the dial.

It probably had regular Arabic style numerals but with the overlay it now has shadow box military style numerals.

The hands were changed from thin spade over to skeleton.

Lugs have been added

Hence conversion watch.

·
Banned
615 Posts
Thanks Stan
Makes sense now, very nice.
Dial is a bit clean for me but lovely piece of Horology.
Do you have that advert? If so any chance a copy?

Great stuff. Thanks again

A

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A few more from the show...............................

1918 Elgin Trench Watch, RARE case design from Fahys, square bezel with a round case back, OreSilver, size 3/0s, RED 12 enamel dial.

1914 Elgin Trench Watch, Philly "Silverode" case, size 0s, BOLD Arabic military dial, style of the US Army Cavalary Divisions in 1914.

1925 Elgin Wrist Watch, 14k gold filled Keystone "J.BOSS" cushion case, FAT factory crown, size 3/0s, RED 12 enamel dial.

1920 Waltham, 14k Gold on Sterling Silver, machined case back, re-lumed hands, size 3/0s, Shadow Box enamel military dial.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Stan, you need a hobby! Just kidding! The rest of us live vicariously through the one that has made a career from his passion! Very nice work, all!:thumbup1:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.