WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone. My name is Marc, i'm new to the forum and new to the vintage watch world. I just purchased my first Hamilton online, but after trying to research it I couldn't really come up with anything. So I am hoping you guys might be able to point me in the right direction. Did I get a "deal" or did I pay a fair price for it, authentic or not, and the value it might have after a service and restoration? Thanks everyone! Marc

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Ok.... After doing a little more research it seems it may be a Dateline TM-6900. But then again I could be way off.

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts
Hi Marc - and welcome to the forum.

Seems you are on the right track with your research on the watch; hope the answers you seek come to the surface soon.

Just a note regarding the link you've posted to ebay; putting this here as a reminder to all about our posting rules (refer to the 'sticky' thread at the top of this forum).

I've left the ebay link in your original post because the auction has finished and, as far as I can tell, the vendor is not running a commercial operation. If this was not the case the link would have had to be removed. Reason being is that Watch Talk Forums relies on contributions from its sponsors and patrons to stay online. In return we as members undertake to not promote businesses that compete with our sponsors - and ebay is probably the biggest competitor they all face.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Hi Marc, welcome to the forum. You definitely want to familiarize yourself with the "rules". This is a great place to learn but you need to know what not to do.

I'd say you did fine on your buy. If you can get a working automatic for under $50 you're doing fine. The main thing you want to watch out for is excessive case wear - as that's hard to fix. All buffed up your new watch will look great. Black dials are also very popular.

You probably should get it serviced (cleaned, oiled, etc) if you plan to wear it a lot. That should run you $75 or less if you shop around. It's money well spent and adds to the watch's value. A nice, serviced automatic in good aesthetic shape is certainly worth $150 or more, in my opinion.

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
I think it is certainly not a Dateline TM-6900. The Dateline TM-6900 is 10k RGP while the auction listing states 10k gold filled. In 10k gf, you would need to look at possibly a A-4xx, T-4xx or TM-4900. That's the first thing. As well, none of the 10k gf models have the same lugs. This one has an extra little bevel near the end of the lug and details like that are generally shown well in the catalog drawings. Also, none of those models seem to have come with a black dial. This one does not seem to have been refinished in black to make it cooler or more modern. It looks original to me. Finally, the engraved logo on the inside back cover is the style that I usually associate with 70's models. My suspicion is that if we ever get a full set of 70's catalogs available, we would be able to positively identify this one.

Having said all that, it looks like a great watch that I'd like to have. I saw the auction but did not keep track of it because 1) the seller will not sell outside the USA and 2) I thought it would easily exceed my current budget restrictions. I fully expected that it would sell well in excess of $100, perhaps $150 or more. I think you stole it.:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Nice one Marc! As has been said, running autos generally bring more with a black dial so, you did very well!

I try to mentally add the service fee I will have to pay to get it running tip top to the price I pay to judge whether I am getting a bargain or not. Sometimes in the beginning I thought a $35 watch was a bargain until I learned it would take $150 to put it in working order.

So, just beware when assessing. But, for a runner in good cosmetic shape, you fared well! Welcome!:thumbup1:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will check out the rules and regulations of the forum for my future posts!

Thank you all for the information and insight. As soon as I get it, I will be taking it to get serviced, and depending on the condition restored. My fear was buying the watch, having it serviced, etc. then it only being worth $10 if I ever wanted to sell it. Glad it turned out well for me.

Do we want before and after pics for the forum? And also, if you all have any ideas as far as which band I should get let me know! Preferably leather and of Hamilton brand.

Thanks again,

Marc

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
Personally, if I am going to wear the watch, I normally do not prefer a Hamilton strap -- since wearing it likely reduces the value and they can be tough to locate. My favorite vintage-styled exotic straps are Artisanal (by Hirsch), Hadley Roma, DeBeer handmade, Hirsch, and then just about all of the rest including vintage and IW... in that order. I just find a modern stitched-edge strap more attractive, longer lasting, and incredibly comfortable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Concerning the straps, I actually meant a modern Hamilton strap and not vintage. I will however take a look at the brands you presented to me and see if there are anyones that I like. Perhaps I will talk to the jeweler (sorry if this is the wrong terminology) that will be servicing the watch and see what they recommend and what they have in stock. I really looking forward to getting this watch.

*Update*

I just won an auction for a late 60's Omega Seamaster Cosmic 2000!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts