WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
they say third times the charm ...but I am tired of all the writing that went with it .....

picked these up a couple of weeks ago .....2 Bulovas, both 21 jewels , both running very well, at least a day and a half......and 2 velvet boxes.....one is a Fifth Ave watch and so is one of the boxes ......got them for a sweet price......

and of course, they're at Jerry to tune up .......

adn now to get this up before it disappears again ...for the third time .....gggrrrrrr

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
You KNOW I love knotted lugs :001_wub::001_wub::001_wub:

I really like the other one too.

Beautiful work with the boxes and everything Sal!

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
....that's exactly one of the questions I am hoping someone will answer .....er, suppose I shoulda asked the question eh ?

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
The significance is that it's been recased, and not by Bulova.

It looks like a 50s case, but I'll bet the movement is from earlier. There used to be a significant market for replacement cases for when the original case wore out, as a way of saving money, since back in the day, even the cheapest jeweled watch cost a significant chunk fo change. These particular 'knotted lug' cases were especially popular.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
No, I don't think so.

First, the font is exactly the same as one I've seen done in gilt numerals, plus I've seen other Excellency watches with essentially the same dial, and the watch Sally has looks like the watch in a 1948 Bulova ad on mybulova.com. It's most likely authentic. Remember also that they had a gazillion watches in the 'Excellency' line at that time.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok here's a poser ....supposing that the movement is Bulova, and it is, I checked....21 jewels.....is the dial likely to be ? ....and would they have just added
movement" under the Bulova name ? .......and if not how did they work out that dial thing then ...????

and the thing is ....lots of watch companies didn't make their own cases .....right ? ...Star, Wadsworth ....those were seperate case making comanies... companies weren't they ?

and the dial on the rectangular watch is in pretty good condition...but there oh wait .....I have a photo....

if you look at the right side of the dial closely you can see a bit of a discoloration that runs all along that edge ....it's faint, but it's there ....and does this help figure out if it's a re-dial .???

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
forgot to add ....I love love love those numbers !

·
Registered
46 Posts
No, I don't think so.

First, the font is exactly the same as one I've seen done in gilt numerals, plus I've seen other Excellency watches with essentially the same dial, and the watch Sally has looks like the watch in a 1948 Bulova ad on mybulova.com. It's most likely authentic. Remember also that they had a gazillion watches in the 'Excellency' line at that time.
True enough; I'm sometimes leery of using the "hand drawn" picture ads as a detailed reference, relying more on the written descriptions in the "catalog" pics. But I found a few that explicitly mention "Black" numerals "(the Excellency WW for instance), so I stand corrected on that point. 21j seems to be the only "common" element throughout the line.

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
The significance is that it's been recased, and not by Bulova.

.... These particular 'knotted lug' cases were especially popular.
I'd agree that it's a recased watch. There were at least 10 different brands plus the jobbers who bought those knotted lug cases in the 40's and 50's. I have my suspicions that both are refinished dials.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I have my suspicions that both are refinished dials.
Well, if it IS refinished, then it's a correct refinish. There are two 1948 His Excellency FF's on mybulova.com with that exact dial, as well as a catalog clip from 1949 for the His Excellency WW that specifies black numerals. I see no reason to think the dial is anything other than authentic - unless you think it should be in worse condition.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I thought my memory was going bad but you all make me feel much better. These are the watches that Eric got right after Christmas. The forum talked about them here. I'm positive that the Excellency dial is correct and has no indications to me that it's refinished. Here's a shot of one I got last summer.

One of the nicest things about the FF is it is a little chunkier that the usual 7 or 8 ligne Bulovas and will accept a wider band. I've been having trouble finding 14mm bands in men's lengths to fit some of my other Bulovas. Joel

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
One of the nicest things about the FF is it is a little chunkier that the usual 7 or 8 ligne Bulovas and will accept a wider band. I've been having trouble finding 14mm bands in men's lengths to fit some of my other Bulovas. Joel
I've been picking up the "40's Pigskin Retro" from International Watchman for the ones that take 14mm.

·
Registered
4,531 Posts

Salleh...

I just would love to meet the guy who owned this watch....
He used to get up in the morning and say... gee, I think I am going
to wear my nice Bulova to the Construction site
AGAIN!!!

Hey BOB... you got a bottle opener?

Nah, I will just use the crystal on my Bulova!!!:lol:

It will clean up nice!:thumbup1:

G

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
.....RJ ...you crack me up .........and Doug .....I checked out the His Excellency FF over on MyBulova, and ....it has a replacement flat crystal ......gives the watch a whole different look .....the old broken but arched from side to side *sob* crystal on mine is, tween you me and that fence post over there, a much better looking crystal, and gives the watch a whole different look .....

for some reason, that arched one seem to make the side edges of the bezel fade away .......the flat crystal makes all 4 sides look the same ......

I have Jerry searching for a crystal like the what I suspect is the orginal one ....

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
.....RJ ...you crack me up .........and Doug .....I checked out the His Excellency FF over on MyBulova, and ....it has a replacement flat crystal ......gives the watch a whole different look .....the old broken but arched from side to side *sob* crystal on mine is, tween you me and that fence post over there, a much better looking crystal, and gives the watch a whole different look .....

for some reason, that arched one seem to make the side edges of the bezel fade away .......the flat crystal makes all 4 sides look the same ......

I have Jerry searching for a crystal like the what I suspect is the orginal one ....
Good luck on that. I wanted to get a domed crystal for my little rose gold Lord Elgin - this one:

It came with a domed glass crystal, but it was too scratched to be used. The replacement glass one I got from Crystalfit was flat. In retrospect, I think I like it better because it makes the dial more visible than I think a domed one would, but I wish I'd known.

Same thing for the two-facet glass crystal on the Elgin Sinclair.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts