WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey people,

I was in an AD today and whilst chatting He told me that the Omega rep had shown him a picture (on a laptop) of the next generation SMP 2254.50!!!!!

Seems that it is being discontinued but only to be re-invented as a Co Axial, black, applied logo version of the Bond style, complete with the Bond style bracelet!!!

Now I don't know any more and neither did he but apparently it's being unveiled at Basel next year

I've always reckoned that a black version of the Bond would be a winner and apparently so have a lot of other's since Omega is supposedly going with popular demand on this one!

I asked if this was just watch industry "gossip" but he was very clear that he had seen the pic on the reps laptop and that it was defiantly happening!

I don't know if it will be an exact reproduction of the Bond but in black or if it will retain most of the styling of the 2254.60 but with the bond bracelet, applied logo and markers and sword hands? He did however say it defiantly had the same round markers and not the triangular markers on the current 2254.50.

Anyone else privy to this info?

Mac.

·
Registered
6,967 Posts
It would be a great decision if this would be true.
The 2254 is already a classic timepiece.
I have said it before, Omega struck gold with this design.
So I hope the won't change much on the outside...;)

·
Banned
18,138 Posts
Well I imagine a Co-Ax was on the way. They just wouldn't have the 300M Diver Chronometer being represented solely by the Bond ( blue ) version, would they.......?

The Noir had to make a comeback. I wonder if down the line, a Speedy-style bracelet will be offered too but upgraded and modernised with the curved, ergonomic links as in the PO or new Speedies.

Hey, we can all speculate but come the time seein' is believin' :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Be well now pals :)

ZIN

·
Registered
522 Posts
I will never replace the original with the co-ax...call me insane. Those basket weave bracelet has ALWAYS looked the best on this watch. John Wilson.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Doesn't sound like the 2254.50 we all know and love does it?

The MSRP for a 2254.50 in the US is now $2150 and we can figure that co-axial will add $1000 to that. Then we can probably add some more for the inevitable price increase and weakness of the dollar.

I would predict that the "replacement" MSRP will be in the $3500 range.

Goodbye entry level diver! :eek:

Fr. John+

·
Registered
191 Posts
so, what will become of the Planet Ocean?

I mean, how will it be positioned? Was this something just to counter Breitling's SuperOcean?

I agree with John that the 2254 looks great on the Bond/Basket Weave/9row bracelet, but that would be enough of an upgrade for me.

I'm still wondering where the new co-ax, if true, will be positioned against the PO. Will the Bond blue or the PO then be the entry level diver? I've been wearing my PO for a couple of days after a long period of hibernation and it never ceases to amaze me.

Glimmer, confused.:confused1:

·
Banned
18,138 Posts
I would have thought it would be priced at or around the price level of the Co-Ax Bond SMP 300M Diver. The PO with its' depth rating of 600M is at a higher level than the 300M Divers.

OK pal

Be well now :)

ZIN

·
Banned
18,138 Posts
I very much doubt if they would be using the cal8500. Can't see the point in raising the price of the unit. I'm thinking more 2500C but then again, you may have a point.

Good to have you with us Mr Toga

Be well now :)

ZIN

·
Banned
9,123 Posts
I do not doubt what you are saying; but, lately, I have begun to question some of the ADs knowledge. Some are so off in the weeds, they need a GPS to get back to reality.

·
Registered
6,084 Posts
:)

I think it would make perfect sense to re-introduce a black dial 2254 like watch. it also makes perfect sense that the 2254 was discontinued, a demand created, then introduce the "New 2254". sound marketing practice if you ask me... IMHO.

bring it on Omega, I'll be ready:thumbup1:

:):)
diver88

BTW, if you check out the review JBHII did on the Submariner (which I also own) and the 2254, you'll see who Omega matches up with already... IMHO the 2254 is a more comfortable DIVE watch, although they compare closely in John's review.:thumbup1:

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Timefinder,

I agree that AD's have in the past spat out some rubbish regarding so called "new releases".
However, this ones not prone to gossip and was very specific.
He claimed that the Omega rep had told him AND shown photos on the laptop!

If it's not true then the rep was talking rubbish too! As well as creating photo shop images of an imaginary watch!
Seems unlikely that there would be that level of deliberate deception between an AD and the rep or that an AD would be so elaborate in his attempt to decieve customers.
Being mistaken or spreading gossip is one thing, blatently making it up is another! Then again "There's nowt so queer as folk" as we say in the Midlands:wink:

Anyway I agree that it would be priced at the same level as the Co Ax Bond SMP as in essence it would be the same watch except for slight cosmetic changes (Mainly colour).

Time (pardon the pun!) will tell.

Mac. :thumbup:

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
By the way, how come I am now back to being a "new member" when Diver is retaining his post count?
Have I done something wrong in registering here from the old site?

·
Banned
18,138 Posts
No Pal

It's just that the post count does not transfer over automatically. We haven't demoted you 'cos you've taken off the very nice De Ville Power Reserve from your siggy, you ole " de ville ". We might have but you've redeemed yourself somewhat by your " breaking news " bulletin about the forthcoming Co-Ax diver. ;)

If you'll PM John nicely, I'm sure he'll organise for your post count to be restored.

Be well now pal :001_smile:

ZIN

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK Hookey, I'll contact big J and ask for my illustrious and giddy heights of rank to be restored!!!

The Deville wasn't removed by me it just didn't automatically transfer over (like my post count!):001_tongue:

C Ya me old pirate:thumbup:

·
Banned
18,138 Posts
Well you know what to do Pal

and don't take all day about it either ;)

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Be well now :001_smile:

ZIN

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Then again "There's nowt so queer as folk" as we say in the Midlands:wink:
That's a Yorkshire saying!

Terry mentioned about "discontinue" then re-introduce when there is demand. This is good, if some what cheeky business practise. Heinz declared a few years ago they were going to stop production of their Salad Cream. This created public outcry due to some media attention and lo and behold, Heinz didn't stop production and Salad Cream is their biggest sauce seller after Ketchup.
Maybe Omega were at that same sales seminar as Heinz :wink:

·
Registered
748 Posts
In addition to the movement up-grade, it is important to keep in mind the material and labor cost of the nicer dial with applied white gold indicies and logo.

We discussed this a bit on another thread, but if they make the watch nicer, the cost has to come up.

I personally would like to see a simpler dial, like the las generation Seamaster (non-Bond version) with the printed dial. Perhaps even delete, or re-design the waves, bu keep the cost low to promote the tool watch ideal.

No gold case option, good depth rating, co-ax movement, domed Sapphire etc.

THAT would be the entry-lever pro-grade diver, in my opinion...:thumbup:

·
Banned
18,138 Posts
Can't quite equate gold with a diver either but then again it's tough hence I suppose it could be excellent material for a diver's watch bar the cost ... :001_rolleyes:

Be well now pal :001_smile:

ZIN

1 - 20 of 24 Posts