WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just acquired a nice used 8926 with a very, very minor scratch on the crystal that I can live with, but a major scratched magnifier. I took some 000 grade steel wool to the maginifer and it is a little better. Then I had a jeweler polish the magnifier more. Still the scratches cloud the view. I shopped around to get the magnifer replaced and was told all around that it cant be done, the entire crystal must be replaced with the lowest price of $95. I do recall reading that the maginifers can be removed and replaced but do not recall the specifics. I live in BFE east texas and have called or visited all the jeweler and watch shops here. Can someone point me in the right direction to removed a magnifier and acquire a new one.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The Internet is your friend --- there are many, many methods to remove the cyclops --

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OP ...Ok found out how to remove and add a magnifier but...

Ok I found out how to remove the scratched magnifier. the issue now is accquiring a new one. I can find the UV glue at Lowes. but the magnifer itself is problematic.. I have checked essingers, SMEA, stsupply etc. All have minimum orders etc. far and above the cost of a single magnifer. does anyone have a source for a 7.0 x 5.5 minerral magnifier?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Found a reasonale source for magnifers ...

Well I found a reasonable source for magnifiers to replace the scratched one on my 8926..allwatchparts in CA. Will get a few 6.9 mmx5.5 mm magnifiers to make the minimum shipping cost worth while. Might add them to a few other watches that do not have them at all. Hobby Lobby (Local) has the UV glue and I have a set of ultra fine tweezers.

In the meantime I have polished up the original band..was a 2/3 brushed and 1/3 shiney SS. It had a fair amount of normal wear imperfections on the bracelet and clasp. The 8926 had 10/06 on the side of the case. The case its self is in excellent shape.

Now the band is all brushed looking and 100% better.

Will take some before and after pics of the magnifier.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Magnifier disappointment

Just received maginifers from allwatchparts. Am very disappointed with the level of magnification as compared to the scratched magnifier on on 8926OB. I have already removed the scratched cyclops and to tell the truth ..the 8926 without a magnifier does look pretty nice. Will consider another source ..probably Frei. So I have 5 magnifiers 7.0mm x 5.5mm that I will likely put on other watches. I bought 5 just to make the shipping cost worthwhile and price per was reduced 20% for 5.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts