WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IMG_0038.jpg IMG_0041.jpg

I recently managed to knock my wrist into a street light post while wearing my Sinn 856, causing a few minor scratches. Once I get close to the end of the warranty, which is still over a year away, I plan to send the watch back to Germany to have them take a look. I'm just wondering if others have had minor scratches?

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
The Sinn tegimented processing on the steel is just a surface treatment and can be damaged. I'm sorry you got the damage to your watch. Sadly since the finish is a bead blasted finish there is no repair to my knowledge. I hold my breath that I'm not going to damage the finish on my Sinn watches. Cheers, Bill P.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it looks like a surface treatment to me as well, but on the Sinn website it says its not just a coating

·
Registered
209 Posts
it looks like a surface treatment to me as well, but on the Sinn website it says its not just a coating
The Sinn Tegiment process is not a surface coating-- it's an actual change in the molecular structure of the steel's surface to make it extremely hard. This makes the surface extremely scratch resistant, for steel, but below that hard surface the steel is no harder than the standard 316L steel used in other watches. This causes an egg-shell effect. A hard blow will compress the softer underlying steel and crack the surface layer, causing dents and dings just as on a regular watch.

Besides this, tegimented steel is still just steel-- and there are a lot of natural and artificial things that will damage it. There have been a couple of threads on other forums about complaints that normal desk diving activities have caused damage to tegimented bracelets and clasps. It was discovered that many desks with laminated surfaces made of composites (such as Formica) include ceramic particles to make the surface more scratch resistant. Since industrial ceramics are harder than sapphire and second in hardness only to diamonds, they can and will scratch our watches-- hardened steel is hardly a defense.

Interestingly, Damasko's uses a different method with their Ice Hardened steel. The steel in their cases is hardened all the way through, not just at the surface-- though it's not as hard as Sinn's tegimented steel is-- at the surface. So, if you're more concerned with dings and dents-- go Damasko; if you're more concerned with scratches-- go Sinn.

If you do manage to scratch either-- you're in trouble. both types of steel are so hard than refinishing them is almost impossible. Comments I've read from the companies and from owners themselves indicate that slight scratches to Demasko's ice hardened steel may be fixed by bead blasting, but anything major required a case swap. There's no way to repair the harder surface of Sinn Tegimented steel.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts