WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

7 most important books on watches -- your opinion?

706 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  timefinder 
#1 ·
While waiting at the eye doctor w/ my son, I glanced through an automotive magazine and saw an article titled something like the following. "Here's a list of the seven books that anyone interested in cars should own." I didn't read the piece (because I'm not that invested).

But it got me thinking--

Which books would be on your list, and why? :confused1:

Not talking about those great books that serve our own particular interests, mind you. For example, given my focus on wristwatches related to James Bond, I've come to like Breitling: The History of a Great Brand of Watches 1884 to Present, by Benno Richter. And I think Vintage Rolex Sports Models: A Complete Visual Reference & Unauthorized History, by Martin Skeet & Nick Urul is the best in class for 007 and early Rolex models. But that's too limited for this question, too specific to my tastes.

One of the 7 most important books that I'd recommend for anyone interested in wristwatches is Watch: History of the Modern Wrist Watch Design 1950 - 1983 Electric 1950 -1993, by Pieter Doensen (The Netherlands: Snoeck-Ducaju & Zoon, 1994). :thumbup1:

The value of this text is in its place covering watches as they moved beyond the mechanical phase. Technology, challenges, and market forces are laid out in wonderful perpective, and the photographic references are extensive.

Anyone else got picks?

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.