WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and looking for some opinions.

I started out with a nice Breitling, then moved on to a Rolex, so I think it's time for a Patek!

The one that's caught my eye is the 5146G and I've asked my local AD to get one in for me to see it in the flesh (he's only got the P currently). Now before I sink what feels like a significant sum of money in, what's the general feeling about this piece?

Clearly a person should buy whatever takes their fancy, but it'd be nice to know whether it's well regarded, represents good value as Pateks go, and is not the most common choice. I'm new to brand so want to feel its something special, and not the Rolex Submariner (no offence to any owners out there but it seems to be almost the default choice for Rolex buyers even though its a great watch) of the Patek range!

Ideally I'm after something more contemporary, self-winding, and with an annual calendar (don't think I could stretch to a Perpetual).

Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Patek 5146G is a fine watch. It is, however, quite a thick watch and thus not a most typical Patek. This watch is not rare but in my opinion it represents very good value. I have been considering a 5146 for some time for an everyday watch and if I will buy one, my version will most probably be 5146P.

Best, Kari

·
Registered
15,297 Posts
A solid choice. I owned this watch and I have a relatively thin wrist (6 1/2 - 6 3/4).
At least to me it never felt to be a thick watch by any means.

Here are more pics and info.

Best of luck, hope you will get one soon.
....and NO, there is absolutely nothing common about 5146 (or Patek for that matter).
I can go out to dinner or a bar and see 'dozens' of Rolex or Breitling watches in
one evening. Not counting GTGs, I am not sure I have seen dozen Patek watches
'out in the wild' on peoples wrist 'in my life'.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Patek 5146G is a fine watch. It is, however, quite a thick watch and thus not a most typical Patek. This watch is not rare but in my opinion it represents very good value. I have been considering a 5146 for some time for an everyday watch and if I will buy one, my version will most probably be 5146P.

Best, Kari
Why the 5146P out of interest? Is it the finer material you like or the extra weight on the wrist. Just interested:biggrin:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The PP 5146G is just gorgeous and I would certainly love to own it one day.

It would seem every man and his dog owns a Rolex, but I have NEVER seen anyone wearing a Patek.

Now I have one for myself and I'm thrilled about it!! :thumbup:
AD has one in for me now and I'm almost there with the purchase. Two issues though:
1. The inability to stop the seconds hand really bothers me. I quite enjoy monitoring how many seconds my other watches gain or lose, and reset them to the second every week or two.
2. Just moved home so could really do with putting the purchase off until Feb or Mar. Problem is, they seem to be relatively hard to come by (one AD told me they weren't even taking new names on their waiting list), and I've heard a price rise is coming in the new year (anyone know what percentage it might be)

Thought guys?

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
A solid choice. I owned this watch and I have a relatively thin wrist (6 1/2 - 6 3/4).
At least to me it never felt to be a thick watch by any means.

Here are more pics and info.

Best of luck, hope you will get one soon.
....and NO, there is absolutely nothing common about 5146 (or Patek for that matter).
I can go out to dinner or a bar and see 'dozens' of Rolex or Breitling watches in
one evening. Not counting GTGs, I am not sure I have seen dozen Patek watches
'out in the wild' on peoples wrist 'in my life'.

Why is the 3 in the date window not centered? Is it 12:15 a.m. and about to change to 4?

·
Banned
778 Posts
AD has one in for me now and I'm almost there with the purchase. Two issues though:
1. The inability to stop the seconds hand really bothers me. I quite enjoy monitoring how many seconds my other watches gain or lose, and reset them to the second every week or two.
2. Just moved home so could really do with putting the purchase off until Feb or Mar. Problem is, they seem to be relatively hard to come by (one AD told me they weren't even taking new names on their waiting list), and I've heard a price rise is coming in the new year (anyone know what percentage it might be)

Thought guys?
Buy it now!

The watch is currently $6k more than it was in February 2011 so that gives you an idea of how fast the price can rise.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Buy it now!

The watch is currently $6k more than it was in February 2011 so that gives you an idea of how fast the price can rise.
Thanks for the tip, was exactly what I needed to push me over the edge! Made the call, negotiated a 7% discount and placed my order.

Reasonable deal or could I have pushed harder?
Also, do you get one or two straps with it?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks for the tip, was exactly what I needed to push me over the edge! Made the call, negotiated a 7% discount and placed my order.

Reasonable deal or could I have pushed harder?
Also, do you get one or two straps with it?
To me that's a good discount. Much more then what I was given for my 5712/1a. However, it just seems that the market for watches may have slowed down somewhat recently.

I'm also trying to save up for a AC and the 5146 is on my radar. A Patek is obviously not common but in the past for some reason the 5146 has been more "available".
However, more recently when I was in Asia the 5205 was more available (vs. 5146).
My local AD hinted that a price increase may be soon. I believe Patek did not raise their prices in 2012.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was told much the same about price increases. Essentially Switzerland has fallen way behind the UK in terms of pricing, so my Swiss AD said a price increase in Switzerland was due in Feb 2013 to level things out.

I called a London AD to check, and sure enough the 5146 price was literally 20% more than Switzerland.

·
Registered
20,788 Posts
CONGRATS on the new Patek! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Be sure to post some pics of it once you get it!

I really like the 5146, especially the G with the anthracite dial. It's a great watch but unfortunately feels a tad to small on my wrist. if they made a 41 or 42mm version, I'd probably have one. It's not the most uncommon Patek out there, and I have seen them in the wild on others wrists. But that doesn't bother me one bit, it's kind of like wearing a pin to a secret club. Others won't know, but the few will. :wink: And it's an outstanding watch! I'm sure you'll enjoy it for a long time to come!

I was told much the same about price increases. Essentially Switzerland has fallen way behind the UK in terms of pricing, so my Swiss AD said a price increase in Switzerland was due in Feb 2013 to level things out.
Just my 2c, but I wouldn't buy too much of that as the reason. Over the past 4 years or so most of the Swiss brands have been increasing their prices annually, and in some cases semi-annually. Usually in Feb - Mar and Sept - Oct. Not picking on Patek here, as I said most of them have. There's been a variety of "explanations', falling dollar value, raise in gold, blah, blah. The bottom line is they raise them because people will still pay the price. Many brands have seen 35-40% increases (or more) in the past 3 - 3 1/2 years. So as GETS said, when you see one you like, it's in stock and at a good price (anything below retail is good as discounts are not easy to get) but it!

I called a London AD to check, and sure enough the 5146 price was literally 20% more than Switzerland.
I could be wrong, but I believe at least a large part of that amount is due to the VAT tax in the UK. I don't think Switzerland has the same VAT rate on a Patek as the UK would since it's a domestic product in Switzerland and in import in the UK (and everywhere else).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for your comments Scott!

I'm absolutely delighted with the watch, and fully agree that the G with anthracite dial is the one to own in the range!
So far I've not seen one in the wild; most seem to be Nautiluses (or is that Nautili!), but maybe because they're the easiest to recognise.

Apart from its beauty in the flesh, I have to say the accuracy is what's impressing me the most.

As for the price increase theories, I've heard all the same stories you mentioned from the Rolex ADs. You're probably right that the VAT is the main driver for the price increase, since it's only 8% here Vs 20% back in Blighty, but regardless I thought it was wise to grab the opportunity while I could. I've been bitten in the past where I thought the AD was pulling my leg and trying to score a sale, so walked out only to see the price increase a few weeks later as I'd been told! Given how expensive these Pateks are, even a few percent increase is best avoided.

I actually called EVERY Patek dealer in Switzerland, yet found only two with the 5146G in stock! Most were even reluctant to put me on a waiting list since they had so many customers on there already!
The AD I eventually chose hand delivered it to me in my office (I'm a good two hours away from them each way), diligently followed instructions to keep the whole transaction completely confidential and use non-Patek shopping bags when delivering (my boss wears a steel Omega so I could do without the attention!), and gave me two straps and a beautiful Patek tie in a presentation box (pretty sure it's Hermes but I could be wrong).

Overall I'm so pleased with it it's untrue! The biggest issue I have is leaving it at home in favour of another watch when the occasion is just not right (e.g. gym session; I'm not leaving it in a locker, not even in Switzerland!).

I'll get some pics posted up soon, promise!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.