WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have been a Rolex enthusiast and am new to Patek Phillippe, but wanted to buy my first one.

I rather liked the look of the 5040G white face. I also like the 5135P which looks a little sportier. From the research I have done in my area, they are similar in price, the 5135P being slightly lower than the 5040G. I was hoping to ask your opinions on these two watches. I would also be keen to not buy something which would reduce in value over time, so your opinion on this would be useful as well.

Thanks

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
So the easy one first, value. Neither will reduce in value. They will simply continue to go up and up and up. Which one will go further faster? Well for that you'll need to check the crystal ball, anything else is pure speculation... :cool1:

Now as to 'which one". This is just as easy for me, the 5135 is a grail watch to me. Here's the 5135P on my wrist.... :drool: :drool:

Unfortunately not my 5135P, but a fellow enthusiast's who allowed me a few minutes with it.

They're both very nice, but I would strongly agree that the 5135 is a more 'sporty' model. For me the 5135 is the definite winner (though there are no "losers" in this question)

·
Registered
15,314 Posts
Welcome to the PP forum, RFRF.
Both are stunning watches..... I have said it before and I will say it again:
"Buy what you like better, not what a bunch of people that you never met will suggest".
As Scott said, you cannot go wrong: 5040G a gorgeous classic, 5135P a wonderful useful
art deco complication in platinum !

Both are discontinued and will be sought after in the future (5040 perhaps more due to its Lemania caliber
that some collectors really like. I personally prefer all in-house caliber 324 in 5135, but don's listen to me
much as 5135R was my first Patek after I went through 'my Rolex phase' ;-)

If it was my choice, I would pick 5135P any day of the week and twice on SUN.

Let us know what you get, I am sure you will not be disappointed either way !

·
Registered
9 Posts
Welcome to the PP forum, RFRF.
Both are stunning watches..... I have said it before and I will say it again:
"Buy what you like better, not what a bunch of people that you never met will suggest".
As Scott said, you cannot go wrong: 5040G a gorgeous classic, 5135P a wonderful useful
art deco complication in platinum !

Both are discontinued and will be sought after in the future (5040 perhaps more due to its Lemania caliber
that some collectors really like. I personally prefer all in-house caliber 324 in 5135, but don's listen to me
much as 5135R was my first Patek after I went through 'my Rolex phase' ;-)

If it was my choice, I would pick 5135P any day of the week and twice on SUN.

Let us know what you get, I am sure you will not be disappointed either way !
That 5135R is a stunning watch. I remember seeing your photographs couple years back, and that watch became a kind of a grail for me. Still in the "Rolex phase", but slowly changing my collection.
Bill.

·
Registered
15,314 Posts
Thanks, Bill !

Hope we will see in you crossing over to the 'dark side' soon ;-)

Here is my post back from 5+ years ago, when I bought the watch.

Gee, I can't believe its been already over 5 years !!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts