WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think Rolex will ever increase the size of some of their watches (Explorer II) by a fraction to be similar to say the Omega Seamaster? The Seamaster is 41mm and the Explorer II is 40mm. When I tried on the Explorer it looked small compared to my Omega and it's just 1mm difference??

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Yes, the Rolex watches are getting bigger.
Last year the YMII came out with 42mm and also their first non-sorty with 40mm (Milgauss).

But I guess we have to wait 8 more weeks to find out if there will be more this year :cool1:

·
Premium Member
24,995 Posts
Yes, the Rolex watches are getting bigger.
Last year the YMII came out with 42mm and also their first non-sorty with 40mm (Milgauss).

But I guess we have to wait 8 more weeks to find out if there will be more this year :cool1:

I think the arguement could be made that, at least by some dimensions, the new GMT IIC is larger too....it certainly looks bigger than the previous model due to the lugs.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
its true, just 1mm can make a watch look much larger.

here is a pic on an invicta 8926 that have exactly the same size as the submariner, and my 41mm tag heuer aquaracer, note that the aquaracer looks much bigger and its only 1mm bigger.

sorry for the non-rolex pic.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
It's pretty clear that size is dependent on what you are used to seeing on your wrist..

Rolex dials stay pretty consistent in size even though the cases differ greatly.. There is not much differenct in the dial size on a DJ or a Sub.

Omega at 41 and 42mm is not a significant step up in case size, but they tend to put a larger dial so they appear to 'wear bigger" if you are used to one size.

But look around. Most with a SMP on do not appear to be wearing a 'bigger' watch than your Sub.

As for the EXP II...It also has the typical Rolex dial and crystal size, but the shape of the bezel makes it appear to be smaller. However, it is that shape that make it less prone to bang around than the Sub or the SMP, and that makes the EXP II my daily beater.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Do you think Rolex will ever increase the size of some of their watches

I hope not.

There's a world full of ginormous watches for those who genuinely prefer them, as well as for those who feel more "manly" wearing them. -And let's not pretend that that isn't a substantial percentage.

Rolex' line-up is classic, that's why I like them. Those that don't may simply prefer other brands. Why must we make Rolex like Panerai, etc.? Why do we need homogenity?

Personally, I hope they don't change.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts