WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am really new to the brand only getting known bout its quality and pedigree after buying a pre owned black dialed mad cow from a friend. I so liked the watch and the brand that i immediately bought another white mad cow the following week after finding out that one of the AD in another state still have it in stock. Really happy with the pair until i noticed that the new cow is running about 3 secs faster by the hour. I immediately called the AD to report this and as usual he asked to send to the SC. Watch was bought on april 7th.

Of course i am disappointed as the watch was new, even my pre owned one is running perfectly. So what happened? How can this be as i read every ball watch is checked and tested before leaving the factory? I have yet to send the watch to the SC as its in the city but the fact is that i am inconvenienced through no fault of mine. Who is going to compensate my time and money in this runaround? I know i sound like a whiner on my first posting but i really cant help feeling frustrated.

I work in the service industry and i do not complain unnecessarily. I still have high regards for the brand itself lets hope that the SC does a better job than the ex factory QC guys.

Regards

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
First, calm down ... Breathe ...

It is not unusual for brand new watches to run fast/slow. There is some amount of break in period, and then they will settle in. Do not send the watch off until it has been broken in.

Next, how are you wearing it? All day/night? What do you do with it when you're not wearing it? Is all this exactly the same as your other one, or are things different now that you have 2?

Do you know the owner of your first one? Any way to ask them how accurate it was out of the box?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First, calm down ... Breathe ...

It is not unusual for brand new watches to run fast/slow. There is some amount of break in period, and then they will settle in. Do not send the watch off until it has been broken in.

Next, how are you wearing it? All day/night? What do you do with it when you're not wearing it? Is all this exactly the same as your other one, or are things different now that you have 2?

Do you know the owner of your first one? Any way to ask them how accurate it was out of the box?
Didnt know that theres supposed to be a break in period for timepieces....cars maybe...but i read somewhere in the forum someone mentioning bout this as well...any idea how long would this be?

I probably wear it for 8 to 10 hours per day and after the watch will just be left at the table. i am wearing the new cow daily but frankly this is the only watch i have owned that needs to be broken in...but lemme check with the owner of the first one on the running condition...doubt he will remember as its a little over 5 years ago...

But thanks anyway tc...will update on the mad cow temperament soon.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I probably wear it for 8 to 10 hours per day and after the watch will just be left at the table.
is this how you war the other one? That leaves an awful long time for positional accuracy to rear its ugly head. Which way do you set it on the table? Try a different way - like on the side, crown up, and see if your accuracy changes.

That said, how are you checking the accuracy? Ie- what are you checking the mad cow(s) against?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
is this how you war the other one? That leaves an awful long time for positional accuracy to rear its ugly head. Which way do you set it on the table? Try a different way - like on the side, crown up, and see if your accuracy changes.

That said, how are you checking the accuracy? Ie- what are you checking the mad cow(s) against?
Noted tc, yes i try to wear both watches the similar way to gauge and compare. and i check the accuracy by synchronizing with internet time (Ball website flash page is one)at the office and when i am home with a quartz watch.

how long do you reckon i have to test the watch before finally sending it to the SC? a week perhaps?

Regards

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I would wait until you see the rate stabilize. They are going to have it a long time. The last thing you want is to have to send it again

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, everyone. I had the same issue. I bought a fireman racer, black dial, and was so impressed with it I got a white mad cow. Unfortunately, the latter lost 4 minutes in one week. I synchronized the two watches at the time of 2nd purchase and used my three other watches, quartz and automatic. I took the mad cow to the SC where the timing was adjusted.

I now have the mad cow with me and monitoring it. I was planning to get a 3rd Ball but this issue dampened my interest. :(

·
Registered
170 Posts
Don't let one watch sour you on the brand! It is my understanding that the mad cow was taken out of production approx 2 years ago. The watch has been sitting somewhere for at least that length of time....The oils dry up etc...Send it to SC for clean, oil and adjust and will be great. Sometimes the so called "break in period" will do this on it's own. I have some watches that are currently out of production, I make sure to wind and set all of my stock at least once per month to ensure accuracy, but I can't say this has never happened to me. Things like this happen, Ball is a great company and will take care of it.
Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, Mike. Thanks a lot for your inputs. Ball, as a brand, is not exactly new to me. I just got to see the line-up personally recently, bought one, got really impressed, and bought another. I even promoted the brand to my friends. Anyway, I'll continue observing the watch, as it seems to be working just fine.

I hope "opening it up" for the adjustment didn't affect its waterproof function and the like. I was just surprised when I was told that I might have hit the watch against something, hence, the issue. I was of the belief it had shock-resist feature. I now think it's more of being left idle for some time.

Btw, is there a way of knowing when this particular watch was manufactured? I observed that the lumes are not as bright as the fireman racer. I gathered that they light up for 25 years. Am i nearing my half-life? :p Or could it be because the white dial of the mad cow provides less contrast than the black one of the racer?

I sincerely appreciate your comments, Mike. Warmest regards.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hi Zegnafan,
I am happy to put my 2 cents worth in at any time :biggrin: I would say the lume difference is partially due to the contrast, but most likely due to new technology of the tritium which gives the tubes a brighter appearance with the same mCi rating. I believe both watches are the same T25, but the racer has the newer technology. In addition, and probably the most important difference, the mad cow has yellow tubes mixed with green, and luminous paint in the bezel. There have been studies that show the human eye sees green brighter than any other color. As far as knowing when the watch was made, I believe you would have to e-mail Ball to find that out.
Mike

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi guys its been awhile...anyways happy to report that the so called break in period is necessary esp for watches thats been sitting in the showroom for a while...my mad cow is running nicely within tolerable measures now...well Ball is still in my good books...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts