WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is a $250 watch already past 500 and 4 days left to go? High bidder has repeatedly increased his/her bid and has zero feedback.

I know previous auctions from this seller have been discussed.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Why is a $250 watch already past 500 and 4 days left to go? High bidder has repeatedly increased his/her bid and has zero feedback.

I know previous auctions from this seller have been discussed.
8***s (Mr. Zero Feedback) initially bid $500 for the watch. t***1 has bid successively upwards trying to test Zero's top point. He found it at $500 by bidding $510. Zero found out about it and has outbid him once. I don't think this is a shill circumstance. If t***1 never topped Zero, I would say yes. Here, it is just plain stupidity.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What the %$#&!!! This ended at $630. Will someone please explain this to me?

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
I think it is as simple as an uninformed buyer wanting a great looking vintage watch. The combination of a very good case, with an outstanding dial (albeit refinished), a serviced movement, and quality photos nearly always command a premium price. I doubt very few of us here have made a purchase from this seller because we are informed.

I would sell to noobs everyday if I could get these prices.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know you're probably right, Tom. "Uninformed buyer" is a nice way to put it.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Here are some eye-popping prices I've recorded. The prices listed will be average and max.

Myron $190/$760 :scared:
coral Myron $273/$750
AGN Paige $175/$500
Paige gilt $260/$500
ygf Putnam $387/$913
1953 Rodney $168/$680 :scared:
ygf gilt Ross $181/$510
1941 AGN Russell $145/$405
1941 gilt Russell $157/$405
Rutlege $1782/$4050
Seckron $795/$4602 :scared:
white Spur $5186/$8995
ygf Thor $512/$1581
white 14K Ventura $4456/$6100
gilt ygf Wilshire $210/$636

·
Registered
1 Posts
Uninformed buyer/mug punter

Here I am a "uninformed buyer" :blush:.Although I didn`t buy the auction mentioned ,I have recently purchased from said ebayer.I understand the draw of the quality photos and in the grip of pre xmas fever I acquired my 1st,2nd,3rd and 4th Hamiltons! The watch from the seller in question was due to arrive today after payment of customs duties. Immediately after the sale,i felt I`d over paid (Don`t bid when tipsy and find out auction results the next morning). I`ll post pics in the near future.

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Mark,

It's something we've all done at some time or another. We can't wait to see the photo's.

cheers,

Sean

·
Registered
123 Posts
It's a fairly uncommon and collectible early Hamilton model, nicely restored, and well-presented. I don't think the price is really out of line. I have gotten 450 to 500 for nice Barrels before on my website which has much less exposure than eBay.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I agree...

It's a fairly uncommon and collectible early Hamilton model, nicely restored, and well-presented. I don't think the price is really out of line. I have gotten 450 to 500 for nice Barrels before on my website which has much less exposure than eBay.
It's a particularly nice example of this model. That always realizes a premium price.

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
While the bidder with zero feedback raises serious questions, I agree that it is a very nice Barrel. It is also photographed nicely in a way that shows the thick crystal and redone dial very well. Green cases also normally bring a premium. It seems that a fairly large minority of buyers are not looking for value in a vintage watch the way a collector does, but rather they are willing to pay top prices for a nice watch... and they likely don't plan to ever sell or trade it anyway.

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
Here I am a "uninformed buyer" :blush:.Although I didn`t buy the auction mentioned ,I have recently purchased from said ebayer.I understand the draw of the quality photos and in the grip of pre xmas fever I acquired my 1st,2nd,3rd and 4th Hamiltons! The watch from the seller in question was due to arrive today after payment of customs duties. Immediately after the sale,i felt I`d over paid (Don`t bid when tipsy and find out auction results the next morning). I`ll post pics in the near future.
I have also purchased from this seller. I probably would again if his prices didn't rocket out of my comfort zone fairly early. Close photography like that exposes any flaws so I figure if they look that good in photos, they will look awesome with my failing up close vision.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Again, Bryan also is able to get a premium price because his watches are clean, crisp, and excellent photos. Less proficient photographers (me :blush:) don't get near that much.

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts
Again, Bryan also is able to get a premium price because his watches are clean, crisp, and excellent photos. Less proficient photographers (me :blush:) don't get near that much.
Ha! Less proficient photographer Tom Diss!! On a photographic ability scale that places me among the amoeba.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have also purchased from this seller. I probably would again if his prices didn't rocket out of my comfort zone fairly early. Close photography like that exposes any flaws so I figure if they look that good in photos, they will look awesome with my failing up close vision.
Dave, I love your comment about watches looking awesome due to failing close vision.
Sadly, I must concur.

As for people "overpaying", I know that a few times I've knowingly paid more than what a watch is "worth" because it was a watch that I really wanted.
If I hadn't "overpaid", then I wouldn't be the owner now.

I think most of us would agree that there is value in buying from someone who is considered trustworthy.
Especially when buying something vintage as a gift, you don't want to receive something that isn't in the condition/working order as it was represented.
For me, the irritation of having to possibly struggle to get my money back from a less than honest seller makes spending more with an honest seller much more appealing.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
By the way, now that the auction ended, I wanted to reiterate that what I was flabbergasted at when I started this thread was that the bidding was past $500 on this watch with 4 days left to go. Not necessarily that it ended at $630 (well, I was surprised at that too). I just couldn't understand why bidding was so "enthusiastic" so early on, nice watch or not. Now if it were solid gold, I could understand!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts