WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chris,

Please, please consider a new 24 hour pilot watch for 2012. I know you offer a 24hr quartz combat but the dial imho is unusable. The alternating numbers are too small and looks like they are crammed in there. How about using eta 2893-2 in a M case with an internal chapter ring for telling time in another time zone. You could also use eta 2836. I use my M27? GMT hand to indicate 24 hr military time. My only problem is that the 24 hr ring font is too small!!!

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
That sure would be nice Doc,

Biggest problem is the availability of said movements in sufficient numbers and at a good price (read not).

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I wear a B10 everyday of my life and have zero problem with it or I would never wear it. It is easier to read than a couple others I have. Perhaps because I've worn 24 hour watches a great deal more than 12 hour movements.

I would like to see more 24 hour pieces, but I realize they're a small segment of U.S. watch sales. And Swatch has put the breaks on releasing the ETA's. Sad.

Then there are the Russian movements. There are several 24 hour Russian movements. I have a couple and I've had a couple others that bit the dust, which I couldn't get repaired. Parts were impossible. I gave both to a watchmaker as spare parts.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe a 24 hr watch that looks like this..... Glycine SST Double D

Guess what the United States Postal Service brought me just now? It's Saturday in Houston, Texas and I thought the US Govt's budget defict would have axed Saturday delivery!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guess our hard earned tax dollars are still working for us:drool:biggrin:

As you all probably know, I've been looking for a 24 hour watch for work for awhile now. I was so close to pulling the trigger on the LT B10 but the dial never clicked with me. Furthermore, I always thought the hour hand was on the short side. I even asked LT if the hour hand could be lengthened by substituting something from the LT parts bin. Unfortunately, Bes told me the post size would not acommodate the SC hands or the M hour hands.

The Glycine Airman SST Double D24 is a limited ed. (300 pieces) watch based on the Glycine SST. It has a long history with our pilots and it's name is derived from the SST or SuperSonic Transport plane. It uses the same ETA 2893-2 like on my Lum Tec M27 GMT but it has a 24 Hour Hand with a Date Window. The hour hand rotates once every 24 hours. It has 21 Jewels with a 42 Hour Power Reserve and n Oscillating Weight on Ball Bearing is Yellow Gold Coated, Decorated "Cètes de Genôve" and bears the engraving of the name giving Airplane SST. Bridges Rhodium Coated and decorated "perlé", Visible Screws in Blue Finish. It is Water Reisistant to 200 Meters (660ft) and has a Sapphire AR Glass Crystal.

What's cool about this watch is that it's a World Timer offering simultaneously 3 different 24-Hour Time Zones. The Inner Revolving 24-Hours Ring served by slit-headed crown at the 2 O'clock position.

I think it would be easy for Lum Tec to make a Super Combat with a rotating chapter ring and a 24 hour hand.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,866 Posts
Guess what the United States Postal Service brought me just now? It's Saturday in Houston, Texas and I thought the US Govt's budget defict would have axed Saturday delivery!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As you all probably know, I've been looking for a 24 hour watch for work for awhile now. I was so close to pulling the trigger on the LT B10 but the dial never clicked with me. Furthermore, I always thought the hour hand was on the short side. I even asked LT if the hour hand could be lengthened by substituting something from the LT parts bin. Unfortunately, Bes told me the post size would not acommodate the SC hands or the M hour hands.

The Glycine Airman SST Double D24 is a limited ed. (300 pieces) watch based on the Glycine SST. It has a long history with our pilots and it's name is derived from the SST or SuperSonic Transport plane. It uses the same ETA 2893-2 like on my Lum Tec M27 GMT but it has a 24 Hour Hand with a Date Window. The hour hand rotates once every 24 hours. It has 21 Jewels with a 42 Hour Power Reserve and n Oscillating Weight on Ball Bearing is Yellow Gold Coated, Decorated "Cètes de Genôve" and bears the engraving of the name giving Airplane SST. Bridges Rhodium Coated and decorated "perlé", Visible Screws in Blue Finish. It is Water Reisistant to 200 Meters (660ft) and has a Sapphire AR Glass Crystal.

What's cool about this watch is that it's a World Timer offering simultaneously 3 different 24-Hour Time Zones. The Inner Revolving 24-Hours Ring served by slit-headed crown at the 2 O'clock position.

I think it would be easy for Lum Tec to make a Super Combat with a rotating chapter ring and a 24 hour hand.
Very nice Glycine!! Unfortunately we will likely not see any more ETA movements. We are grabbing ETA 2824s 40-60pcs at a time as we can find them but only to complete current project series. Any new projects i could not count on the off chance in finding the needed movement supply. If a good alternative comes up as far as the movements go we would love to do some other 24 hour models.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts

Lucky guy. Nice watch. I have a couple of Glycine 24 hour and I like them.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alternative to ETA 2893-2

Chris,

That's a bummer about the lack of availability of the ETA movements. Does Miyota make any 24 hour movements? Would love to pick up another Lum Tec but I know from the forums that it's best to wait till next year when all the new designs will be leaked out. I can't wait.....literally...I mean I can't wait!!

I hope in the model line up you will consider maybe the SC2 case with the Ronda Quartz 24 hr movement or an M Chrono.

Regardless, I am saving some coinage because I know I will need it for next year. :001_tt2::001_tt2::001_tt2:

·
Registered
410 Posts

Congrats! bad news is USPS doesn't get your tax dollars.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Chris,

Please, please consider a new 24 hour pilot watch for 2012. I know you offer a 24hr quartz combat but the dial imho is unusable. The alternating numbers are too small and looks like they are crammed in there. How about using eta 2893-2 in a M case with an internal chapter ring for telling time in another time zone. You could also use eta 2836. I use my M27? GMT hand to indicate 24 hr military time. My only problem is that the 24 hr ring font is too small!!!
I have had a lot of people ask for something like this. Problem is sourcing that ETA movement. I wonder if one of the new 9015 variations would work.

·
Registered
371 Posts

Nice pick up, that is an awesome watch. I've looked at the pumpkin SST multiple times but never pulled the trigger.

·
Registered
583 Posts
If I were king of the 24-hour watch world, I would decree that all such watches must have "12" on top, and not "24." To me, it is just so much more intuitive to have the hours from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. (which would run from 9 to 3) essentially mirroring the time that the sun is above the horizon. I use this system on my M27, despite the fact that Lum-Tec follows the "24 at the top" convention. Really easy to get a sense of what time it is at a glance just from the position of the GMT hand, and no need to read tiny numbers.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
12 on top

Indeed!

12 on top is what I have dialed in on my new GLycine SST Double 24! If you recall, it has an inner rotatable chapter ring and yes 12 is on top. I am definitely not a pilot (I just pass gas all day) and this is my first 24 hour watch. I tried with the 24 on top but I am constantly trying to readjust. I rotated the chapter ring with the 12 on top and I have to admit it's easier at least for me. If Lum Tec decides to do a 24, it definitely must have a inner chapter ring. Not only does it give time in a differezent zone but it gives you the option of putting 12 on the top of the horizon!

·
Registered
845 Posts
24 On Top

I am one who likes to see 24 on top and I am pleased that LUM-TEC has followed using this dial set up.

Glycin produces a "Purist" version of their 24 watches which as 24 on the top.:thumbup1:

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am one who likes to see 24 on top and I am pleased that LUM-TEC has followed using this dial set up.

Glycin produces a "Purist" version of their 24 watches which as 24 on the top.:thumbup1:
True Dat :)

But it also has an inner chapter ring and on some models a GMT bezel all of which can be rotated 180 degrees.

Maybe my difficulty with the 24 on top is because I look at my watch more during the daylight hours at work and I look at the upper right quadrant first. Could also just be me and my slow to adapt almost full Hard Drive!

I think it's more from inhaling too much residual laughing gas.....

·
Registered
845 Posts
True Dat :)

But it also has an inner chapter ring and on some models a GMT bezel all of which can be rotated 180 degrees.

Maybe my difficulty with the 24 on top is because I look at my watch more during the daylight hours at work and I look at the upper right quadrant first. Could also just be me and my slow to adapt almost full Hard Drive!

I think it's more from inhaling too much residual laughing gas.....
Oh yes, nitrous oxide is a wonderful gas mixed with oxygen.

The philosopher William James used it to better understand his philosophy. :wink:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts