WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As if on cue this morning, ironically (or perhaps with some divine knowledge on what I had been up to recently on it's behalf...) the battery in my 218 Spaceview gave up the ghost. Watch was still humming, but the sweep had stopped cold. I took a deep breath and gathered my tools (also strangely, this all happened to occur while my wife and kids were out running errands for a few hours - giving me some hard-to-come-by private concentration time).

The 3-head case opener I purchased earlier this week from Harbor Freight Tools did the job easily. The ring slid off, and my case back fell right out. My only moment of fright came a few seconds later as I realized that despite it's tiny appearance, my flathead screwdriver normally used with eyeglass screws was still too big for either of the screws on each side of the cell strap. After some poking around in Dad's old toolbox downstairs, I found nothing else helpful, so took to a primitive means to solving my problem: I went out and found a large rock in our garden and gave the flathead about five good swipes on either side of the blade to sand it down. Came in the house, cleaned it up with a paper towel - and this time it worked beautifully with the screws. With some TLC and after a few pictures (see attached) I had a freshly humming Accutron about 5 minutes later. :biggrin::biggrin:

Very happy now, as even with the one-time purchase of the watch tool included, I did this change at home myself for about $11. The jeweler I normally go to would have charged me upwards of $25. Next move will be to the bay to get at least a 5-strip of 344's and next year it will be even less expensive.

Thanks to you guys here for giving me the gumption to finally try this for myself. It is definitely the way to go!

Watch Brown Analog watch Clock Watch accessory

-John

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Congratulations, sounds like you used some originality and ingenuity. My only advise would be to get an L size 6 tine wrench for opening the case. I also have the Harbor Freight one but the L wrench is much better.
There' s a lot of satisfaction in doing something yourself.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
be careful that could be the start of a very expensive hobby...jk......congrats, if you continue to play around with the repair and service of watches, buy the best quality tools you can afford. you will be glad you did

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Nothing like success. I would second the proper Bulova case back wrench.. I started out with the same 3-point wrench and still use it for non-Bulova case backs. The 6-point wrench is much better. They show up on eBay regularly.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. Honestly for once a year (this is my only Accutron, and I'm not a "WIS" or otherwise any type of collector) I will probably stick with my $5 opener. But yes, there is something to be said for doing it yourself. My Dad (his watch...) is no doubt looking down on me both smiling and laughing right now. :biggrin:

-John

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Very neat to have your Dad's watch. I worked with a man whose father died when he was 14 and he has been wearing his Dad's 214 off and on for 30 years with no service and it runs very well. I suggested that he get it serviced but he told me that, as long as it runs well, it won't leave his custody.
You'll want that six point opener when you get some more Accutrons. LOL !!!

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Indeed. This 218 was on my Dad's wrist at his wedding in 1972, and on mine for the same occasion in 2001.
My Dad never had an Accutron but I do have his 1941 Bulova my Mom bought him about a year after they were married. Still in good condition and has the original band. It's not a highly valuable watch but is still a prize and will pass down to my Son.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.