WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI, do all 214 RR approved watches have the hack feature? I have one and when you lift the setting ring, the second hand does not stop. is that normal or is it broken?

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
HI, do all 214 RR approved watches have the hack feature? I have one and when you lift the setting ring, the second hand does not stop. is that normal or is it broken?
My experience is more limited than some folks here but here goes - Yes, I believe all 214 RR movements had that feature. That is the only way they could be accurately set. Either something is amiss with your movement, the hacking spring was removed, the movement was replaced at some time, or the dial and hands were added to a non "H" movement. Do you know the history of the watch? A hacking spring is easily added to any 214 movement. I recently had one added to my factory Spaceview simply because I prefer that feature.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
The 214/2140 is the basic movement. Two variations with a hacking feature were made. The 214H/2141 had the hack spring as did the 214HN/2142 that was used in Astronaut models with a fourth hand to indicate a second time zone. The 214/2140 and 214H/2141 can both found in "Railroad Approved" watches and it seems that both could be found in any given year. As oliverb pointed out, that may be the result of repairs made with what parts and movements were available. I don't recall if anyone knows for sure what the first year was for the 214H but some "authorities" say that both were available from 1960 on. Movements marked with the four digit numbers 2140, 2141, and 2142 can be dated to 1968 and later. The movement in my M8 RR has the hacking feature and is stamped 2141.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts