WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little bored this afternoon. Surfing watch sites and thought, What time piece would I add to my box/winder in the $2000 range. Fairly affordable price range for many (YMMV). It would be new, eye catching but subtle at the same time. No bright colors on this one. Stainless, solid movement, quartz, strap or bracelet.

Ideas?

Jim

·
Banned
28,407 Posts
I just don't see many $2000 modern watches that catch my fancy, and it certainly wouldn't be quartz. The closest stainless mechanical would be a leftover NOS or pre-owned IWC Portofino. Maybe a NOS Zenith with a caliber 67x from a few years back.

Better choices with $2000 for me would be:

- A vintage IWC caliber 89 manual wind ribbon lug in rose gold, OR an 854x automatic in yellow gold. They come in sized from 34 mm to 37 mm.

- A vintage Omega caliber 611 Seamaster in stainless AND a vintage Longines 19AS in 14ct gold - one for casual, one for dress. The former is 36 mm, the latter usually around 34.5 mm.

- A vintage JLC Memovox or Futurematic. Sized anywhere from 32 to 37 mm.

- A modern Seiko diver under $300 and a vintage dress watch of some type.

·
Super Moderator
15,320 Posts
I'd probably opt for a Baume & Mercier or an Oris. That might leave me enough to include a Christopher Ward C5 Malvern.
(On my shopping spree I'd get the CW and a whole bunch of vintage Hamiltons :lol::lol::lol:)

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
My first thought was the Baume & Mercier Classima 8462. Retails for $2700 but can often be had for about $2000. I know you said no bright colors, but the red on this is pretty subtle when seen in person.

I've always loved this watch from the first time I saw it. I happened to try one on again a couple weeks ago and still like it just as much... maybe even more.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My first thought was the Baume & Mercier Classima 8462. Retails for $2700 but can often be had for about $2000. I know you said no bright colors, but the red on this is pretty subtle when seen in person.

I've always loved this watch from the first time I saw it. I happened to try one on again a couple weeks ago and still like it just as much... maybe even more.
I could definitely see myself wearing this timepiece :D I think the red is a very nice touch, it looks so elegant.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
If I had $2000 and nothing else I would get an Orange Monster, an iPhone and a nice 16mp pocket camera - and a couple good cigars, of course.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I like the B&M suggestion. I would also consider Sinn U1, 6100, or 556. Frederique Constant FC 710 is a solid option.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts