WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1st postin,

Picked up my first vintage timepiece, a unique NOS 987a Hamilton snap back. For some time I have been eyeing one of the newer Hamilton khaki or a vintage watch of some type but hadn’t settled on anything when I stumbled upon this watch. Since it is a NOS I don’t plan on daily wearing it but it will be a watch I wear on occasion. My plan is to get another strap, period correct one, and save the one on the watch currently to help preserve the value and collectibility of the watch.

story is this watch along with 3 others were purchased in a pallet of military surplus. Two of the watches were not in good shape while this one and one other were actually wrapped in the wax paper and preserved. The watch was fully disassembled, cleaned and oiled. Has a very unique dial, unlike any I have seen or could find. My research tells me it has a 1943 time period movement. I found some other USN monogrammed dials but none like this if anyone knows anything about it I would love to know more.

thought I would share since this seems to be a group that appreciates vintage timepieces.

Untitled by Victor M, on Flickr

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, that was one of the sites I found during my research. That has the USN example I was referencing. Amazing bit of information and history.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks I will have to sign up with them, seems they keep much of their site private

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Found out the logo is for the Army Air Corps, predecessor to the modern day Air Force. Also found out that these watches, due to not having a hack, were primarily given to garrison support staff who would not need the hack function. They also had two other faces with logos for the Navy and Marines.

wanted to circle back with what I learned If it ever helped anyone else in the future.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts