WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1980 Gold Bulova Oceanographer Automatic 666

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Spaceview M2 
#1 ·
Just found this amazing forum and this seemed like I couldn't find a better place to post my questions about my Dad's old watch. I've been able to find almost zero information about it so hopefully someone here can help provide a bit more details about it.

What I know already is that it's a 1980 based on the date code on the caseback. The dial has Oceanographer Automatic 666 and the text W. Germany S 6802 T across the bottom of the dial. I had my local jeweler remove the caseback so I could get pictures of the movement but I'm really not sure what I'm looking at or should be looking for. I have only found one other website with a similar watch BULOVA OCEANOGRAPHER W GERMAN MOVEMENT AUTOMATIC 666 FEET STEEL AND GOLD PLATE but since it's not quite the same and I haven't found any other information I was hoping someone could confirm or correct the information they have. They say it has a 10k solid gold bezel ring but I don't know how to tell that. I replaced the crystal on mine so it's not an original and the bracelet is a turn-o-flex but I have the original as well.

Basically I'd like to know the model name (if there is one other than just Oceanographer) and any information I would need in order to have a watchmaker replace the main spring. I had it serviced a couple years ago but if I take it off to sleep then it will stop before I wake up to put it back on. It's a watch that my father wore every day until the late 90s so the gold plating on the bottom has gotten pretty corroded. Is there any way to repair that or is the only option to disassemble the whole watch and have the case replated? (Is that even a thing?) There's also a Brevet stamp on the inside of the caseback. I have only heard of this being on Heuers. Was this a case that multiple companies ended up using or is this just a designation like ISO uses now to show that it passed some sort of certification? Finally, is this even a real Bulova that's just rare or is this some sort of knockoff? Any information that can be provided would be greatly appreciated. I've attached all the pictures I took of it and I'll include what the stamps actually say since they are REALLY hard to see.

Thanks for any help!

Jim

Movement Markings:

1352 10

1661 S

PUW

Caseback Markings:

Dial Marking:

5 8802 T

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the WTF. (So far) I found this info. (For sale ad on a website) Others may find more info.

STUNNING WEST GERMAN BULOVA AUTOMATIC 666 OCEANOGRAPHER
This is a rare watch, and in mint unworn condition
Black Dial with 666 Oceanographer Automatic MERCEDES HANDS
ORANGE SWEEPING SECOND HAND
ROTATING BLACK BEZEL
MINT 6802 AUTOMATIC MOVEMENT
HEAVY 18ct GOLD PLATING IN MINT CONDITION
QUICK SET DATE
LARGE 41mm CASE INCLUDING SIGNED BULOVA WINDER
18ct GOLD PLATED BRACELET WITH BULOVA SIGNED CLASP

c1980s

Pics of said watch:

Watch Analog watch Everyday carry Clock Watch accessory

Watch Analog watch Clock Everyday carry Watch accessory

#4 ·
Awesome! Thanks guys. So the 6802 Movement is just Bulova's designation for the PUW 1661S? I didn't see any of those here on the Bay in the States. Is there any way to find out if mine is 10k or 18k gold? Would the bezel be solid 10k and the rest 18k gold plated?

#6 ·
Its hard to tell what gold is on your watch. I know its not Gold Filled because that doesn't flake off like cheaper plating does. Your watch only says base metal bezel and the link you provided is a bit different as says 10kt gold bezel ring so its hard to say what yours is but I would be its not high quality (both look to be flaking off). Not sure the info I gave in my first post was even correct because I didn't see what the caseback said, even though the seller said 18ct gold (plated or not). I would have to see proof of that via some other info. Its probably a common gold plated base metal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.