WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my uncle picked up that stainless one that I fixed up for him. Then he mentioned wanting a gold one. I was surfing the eBay again when I came across this jewel. It was listed as "DEAD Bulova Accutron..." I looked at the battery, and it looked a bit thin. I bought the watch, and I asked the seller what battery it was (the battery was also placed in upside down). It ended up being a 371, which is almost exactly like a 387s but half the capacity and half the thickness. Sure enough, when I got the watch, it fired right up and swept in circles. I am waiting for my over-priced Moebius 9020 oil to come in the mail, so I have the battery out right now. But here she is. There's no way I'll let this one go!

spaceview70a.jpg
spaceview70b.jpg
spaceview70c.jpg
spaceview70f.jpg
spaceview70e.jpg

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
So my uncle picked up that stainless one that I fixed up for him. Then he mentioned wanting a gold one. I was surfing the eBay again when I came across this jewel. It was listed as "DEAD Bulova Accutron..." I looked at the battery, and it looked a bit thin. I bought the watch, and I asked the seller what battery it was (the battery was also placed in upside down). It ended up being a 371, which is almost exactly like a 387s but half the capacity and half the thickness. Sure enough, when I got the watch, it fired right up and swept in circles. I am waiting for my over-priced Moebius 9020 oil to come in the mail, so I have the battery out right now. But here she is. There's no way I'll let this one go!

View attachment 29582
Nice watch. Great score! Same chapter ring, hour and minute hands as 214 100th Anniv. Isn't it great when other folks don't really know what they are doing and we score a gem! What year?

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Now that's a keeper. Spaceviews are special and that is a nice one. Congrats !
Isn't is amazing how often we buy one that is supposedly not running and we put in a battery and it takes off ?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's a 1970

Out of the 6 I've gambled on only 1 had a bad coil. Just bought another "humming" spaceview because I know I'll be able to double my money. Not sure how authentic it is, but it's getting posted right back up once I work my magic. I also got a 214 index finger wrench.

Love me some accutrons. I've got another surprise as soon as I can source a nice case for one watch out of the 'trio'

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep. It's pretty cool. I also picked me up a 214 movement holder. Now I just need an ultrasonic cleaner

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thankyou Oliver!

Yeah, I'm finishing my mechanical engineering degree at the University of Oklahoma (graduate in a May). I fell in love with Accutrons last March and have been working on them for almost a year now. As for now, I can't accept liability for anybody's museum worthy pieces (and I wouldn't want to). But, all of those who are close to me get free service for life! I've got friends and family sporting Accutrons on the regular. I just wish the parts weren't so delicate. But, if you want to wear history on your wrist every day, it's well worth it to me.

If I'm still proficient in a few years of tinkering, I'll be accepting service inquiries as a hobby. I don't know where I'll be working or how busy I'll be when I'm fully employed. I'm only 22 though so if I live a long life, so will the legendary Accutron!

As for now, I'm just building my arsenal of beautiful pieces that fit my personality haha

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
Very nice!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts