WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
After collecting a small number of WW1 and WW2 watches over the years, I decided to buy a watch I'd admired since I was a kid in the 69s. On Ebay - it was also offered on MyChrono24. The blurb was very long and detailed, and the images look good - too good? (I'm a newbie on Omega). The seller seems to be knowlegable and friendly, so naturally I'm a bit nervous. Have I been sold a pup? As far as I can see, the movement is right, and the numbers check out. I'd be very grateful for your thoughts - I paid $770.
Watch Brown Analog watch Clock Watch accessory

Hand Product Watch Amber Material property

Watch Analog watch Light Clock Yellow
Watch Analog watch Body jewelry Automotive lighting Clock

·
Super Moderator
16,452 Posts
Giving it my 100% seal of approval without being able to hold the watch and personally inspect it is not possible, but I can see NOTHING that would send my Spidey Sense tingling. And since eBay is rife with Stainless Steel Geneves but very few with similar gold cases, I can't say too much about the price you paid.
Not asking for educated opinions until AFTER you've sent off your hard-earned pounds is usually not the wisest thing to do, but In your case, I'd say you lucked out!
Enjoy your Omega in good health and with a clear conscience.(y)(y)(y)
A word of advice: if the seller cannot guarantee that the watch was been servived within the last 5 years, you might consider taking it to your local watchmaker for a preventative maintenance health check (otherwise known as "servicing" the watch) and have this done on a regular basis. The lubricating oils inside your watch WILL dry out before too many years go by. On average, we have our mechanical watches cleaned and re-oiled every 5-to-10 years. Many watch owners will tell you "I've NEVER sent my watch in for cleaning, and it works just fine!"
Well, that may be true for right now, but it is called PREVENTATIVE maintenance for a reason. If, if, if your watch starts to wear out, catching the problem early will minimize the repair bill, as well as time spent in the repair shop and not on your wrist.
Enjoy!

Reactions: BunkerBoy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Many thanks for your comments I'm a lot less tingly now. I understand the watch was serviced a month ago. I'll know more when I get my hands on it, hopefully Tuesday. The seller asked for my email address, promising to send me 'some more information about the watch' after I confirmed receipt, which is intriguing.

·
Super Moderator
16,452 Posts
Please remember that our fee for services rendered are some wrist shots after it arrives on your doorstep/mailbox
and you stop drooling over it!
Building Font Event House Magenta

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Hi again, the watch has arrived and I'm a bit puzzled. I'd expected 34mm without the crown, and it under 30mm (sorry no better measure than a steel rule) Am I wrong? It looks terrific and I'm very pleased with it - just wondered. More pix follow.
Ruler Office ruler Measuring instrument Font Rectangle

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is some more info on the watch.
Type: Omega Genève
 Age: 1967
 Movement: Omega cal. 601 manual winding movement, Ref. no. 25061393, 17 jewels, serviced date 04.03.2022
 Caseback: Ref. no. 131.018
Product Gadget Material property Rectangle Adapter

1 - 10 of 10 Posts