WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a watch I built for myself or my girlfriend to enjoy. It's a Clark crystal and hands, but I don't care. Also, can anyone help me grasp the different styles of coils and periods of use. I'd like to know from now on whether or not coils correspond or not. Also, this is an NOS (probably not) JB Champion twisto-o-flex I got on the bay for a steal. I love the herringbone. It will definitely go on my Swiss Chapter Ring when it's done. But for now, enjoy

Wood Font Wheel Circle Jewellery

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Nice job! :thumbup: While we are Accutron enthusiasts here, most of us just enjoy them as they are. Not all of mine are "correct" and I really don't care as I like them as they are.

The original transistor was a germanium PNP and, as microelectronics changed, was replaced by a silicon NPN. Both types work just fine. Of course, that also necessitated a change from three wire coils to two wire coils. The transistor change was made because the industry was switching over to the NPN type, not because of any problems with the PNP type. Ludmil, the watchmaker in Bulgaria, seems to think the two wire coils are a little more reliable. A link below where the change is discussed. If you haven't seen this site before, click the "Back" link at the page bottom to see more:

http://members.iinet.net.au/~fotoplot/acctech214.htm

Interesting link to how the electronics function in an Accutron:

http://www.elektron.demon.co.uk/works.html

·
Registered
235 Posts
Also, this is an NOS (probably not) JB Champion twisto-o-flex I got on the bay for a steal. I love the herringbone.
View attachment 32775
FYI, A small correction here... "twisto-o-flex" (Twist-o-Flex) is a trademark of the Speidel USA company. The JB (Jacoby Bender) term was "Prest-o-Flex"

Oliver, most all TRANSISTORS are at least three wire devices ... A DIODE is a two wire device. The three wire/two wire differentiation on coils referres to the feedback mechanism in the oscillation circuit...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.