WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1964 Bulova 23 Jewel

6K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  kenhiraihnl 
#1 ·
Hi everyone! The other day. I bought a 1964 Bulova 23 Jewel automatic. Found it at a pawn shop for 56 dollars. I consider this a real deal. It is in great condition and started running very smoothly as soon as i picked it up. However, just to be safe, I took it to my jeweler to be sent off for a full service and lubrication. It is killing me to have to wait to get it back though. I love the classic 60's look of this watch. Was first worried about it being too small, since im used to divers, but hopefully i will get used to it soon enough. Anyone else have a 60's Bulova? Please share the story of your watch and how it has performed for you. (I'll post pics as soon as it gets back from service). Thanks.

#7 ·
I don't have a '60's right now, but I do have a '50's Bulova and a '70's Accutron. At first, I had the same worries that as Matt. Most of my watches are divers' or sport watches ranging from 38mm to 42mm, but I found that it is not too hard to get used to the smaller diameter vintage pieces, especially with their vintage designs.

Here are a couple of photos of the 2 I have:

1955 Bulova "Bottle Cap"

1977 Accutron 218-2

#9 ·
It's back!!!

Just got it back yesterday. Looks great. I took these pictures and deeply appologize for the horrible quality. Looks like I need to be spending more money on cameras than watches. I can tell you that this watch is in great condition considering its age. The crystal was almost perfect when I purchased the watch. It originally had an old expansion band on it which was WAY too small for my arm so I switched it to a black leather band.....for that 60's look. (yes, i've been watching Mad Men) The watch maker (in his 80s) fully cleaned and serviced the piece. At the top of the watch it reads:

Bulova
23 Jewels

The bottom:

Self-winding

The only number on the watch is the twelve o'clock position, the rest are markers. I've spend hours on the web looking for a pic of one just like it, and have found none. Let me know what ya think!

Attachments

#10 · (Edited)
I love the 50"s 60"s & 70's

Welcome to the fourm Matt0509 nice find & at a great price :thumbup1:

Allways love seeing your Bottle Cap Alton1:001_tt1:

1955 Bulova "Bottle Cap"

Hey it's Just the Six of us right:wink:

Ok group when you find a great watch email me & I won't bid against you:001_tt2:

Here a few I have

Got this a few months ago in Mint condition with it's Original band

#12 ·
I have one of the 23j Bulovas. It is small, but a great watch, and I wear it. I love the sunburst dial and it is definitely a good time keeper. Your dial looks original. I've seen more that have been redialed than original, and they lose that nice reflective quality of the original. Enjoy!

#14 ·
All of the Bulova 23J autos I've seen were made in USA. The calibers 10BPA, 10BPC and 10BPD are listed on Ranfft, all the same movement with different second and date configurations. They were available in 23J and 30J variants, and are generally considered to be good movements. There is also the 11BLA family, which includes 11BLA, 11BLAC and 11BLACD, available in 17 or 23 jewels. Both families have manual-wind subtypes as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.