WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Elgin .....number 2 is this ladies size 3 conversion watch ....very simple and clean looking .....now hoping that Jerry will get it running ......( not really worried about that !)

as you can see. it's pretty big for a ladies watch of the early 20s .....

by the serial number, this is the oldest of the 3 1920s watches I have just gotten.....

and the dial is very clean indeed

so then now a kinda beat up one, but I wanted a cushion shaped one ....I got this one first, and it's the most rough of the trio.......

and the movement

not very fancy ......but we shall see how it cleans up ........

and once again ....sorry about the photos....gotta check some settings on my camera

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
21861549: 1918 - grade 463 - OF - size 3/0s - 362,000 manufactured.

29572561: 1927 - grade 462 - HC - size 3/0s - 997,000 manufactured.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Stan ......that ladies watch is even older than I thought .....anyway, now if I could just remember which of the 3 Elgins ran ! .....I suspect it was the one in the thread by iteself ....the one that was part of the $20 12 watch group .....heh heh .....

and I may keep the ladies watch for myself for a while....or at least until someone buys it off my wrist ......which happens fairly often ......

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I think that ladies model is a convertible type, right? Could be used as a pendant watch, or a pin watch using the lug at 6:00, or a wristwatch.

The watches from 1900-1940 are interesting for their lack of adherence to the 'rules' as later understood. Hence you have what would be a comparatively large ladies' wristwatch, or those mens wristwatches on leather thongs that look for all the world like overgrown ladies' cord watchbands.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I think that ladies model is a convertible type, right? Could be used as a pendant watch, or a pin watch using the lug at 6:00, or a wristwatch.

The watches from 1900-1940 are interesting for their lack of adherence to the 'rules' as later understood. Hence you have what would be a comparatively large ladies' wristwatch, or those mens wristwatches on leather thongs that look for all the world like overgrown ladies' cord watchbands.

Yes you are correct the ladies one is a pendant watch. The Illinois Watch Company offered their first one for sale in 1910.

Thanks
FJF

1 - 6 of 6 Posts