WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys !

ALMOST all of the time when you see an American cushion case trench watch the case was manufactured by the Illinois Watch Case Company and sometimes by Joseph Fahys & Company.

This is one of the rare exceptions to that rule!

This cushion case was manufactured by the Star Watch Case Company!

The STAR cases are EXTREMELY difficult to locate and obtain.

It's the ONLY one that I've found over the past 4 years.

The main difference is in the lug design.

The lugs on this STAR case go all the way out to the tips of the cushion case and they are tapered, meaning that they get narrow at the ends where the strap is attached.

They are very thick measuring 2.25mm in diameter and they will take a larger strap measuring 16mm wide..

This watch has simply the BEST of everything!

The 15 jewel movement (grade 464) was the best that Elgin produced in 1918 and it looks like it was just made yesterday, one of the cleanest movements that I ever seen.

The STERLING SILVER case measures 40mm lug tip to lug tip and 31mm with the factory crown.

The dial on this Elgin is quite rare, the ENAMEL White Star Dial ! ! !

Most White Star Dials were made of metal NOT enamel, I've only seen a handful of this white enamel version.

Through my research I have concluded that this is the 5th and final edition to Elgin's "Star Dial Series", it was first available in mid to late 1918 and had a VERY short run.

New mainspring, new glass crystal, new genuine Buffalo strap and new inner sleeve on the crown tube.

You can tell just by looking at this watch that it's not your run of the mill Elgin Trench Watch!

And now for the WRIST SHOT ! ! !

Now let's do some comparison shots...................

Here are a few cushion trench cases from the Illinois Watch Case Company, they have very thin 14mm lugs.

This case was made by Joesph Fahys & Company, it also has 14mm lugs.

And the cushion case made by the Star Watch Case Company, MUCH larger and thicker 16mm lugs.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Adam,

The EARLIEST date that I've seen for the Fahys Sterling Silver Trench Watch Cases with an Integrated Shrapnel Guard is November 7th, 1917. (round & cushion designs)

These were only made in Sterling Silver or Nickel.

The Illinois Watch Case Company cushion cases with Integrated Shrapnel Guards came out in late 1917, probably in the Fall of 1917 sorry, no exact date on these.

These were made in Sterling Silver, Gold Filled and Solid Gold.

Illinois also made Integrated Shrapnel Guard Cases with Swivel Lugs, Threaded Bezels & Cases Backs in 10k Gold Fill with a ROUND design (Uber rare)

The North American Watch Case Company came out with an Integrated Guard design in Spring - Summer of 1918. (round only)

These were made in Sterling Silver, Gold Filled and Silver Filled.

I only know of these three American manufacturers that made Integrated Guard Cases, there might be more but it's very doubtful.

·
Banned
615 Posts
Hi Stan
I think I have Sept 26th 1916, and a Patent Pending case.
If photoBucket ever works again, I have a great new article to post
Watch just arrived to-day.
Greg saw it and WAS impressed

Thanks your reply

·
Banned
615 Posts
Hi Stan
I think I have Sept 26th 1917, and a Patent Pending case.
If photoBucket ever works again, I have a great new article to post
Watch just arrived to-day.
Greg saw it and WAS impressed

Thanks your reply

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.