WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1918 Elgin Black Star Dial Trench Watch Restoration, before & after pics.............

Hey guys !

I just put the finishing touches on this 1918 Elgin "Black Star Dial" Trench Watch.

It was in pretty bad shape when it first arrived a couple of weeks ago, neglected for many years obviously.

The case is what peeked my interest when taking on this project.

These cases are not extremely rare but they can be rather difficult to obtain in good condition.

It is a sterling silver, semi-hermetic case with a coin edge bezel made by the Philadelphia Watch Case Company, first available in 1918.

It still has the original oversized sterling silver factory crown and it features the more desirable 16mm lugs.

Some MEATHEAD over the years did not know how to properly open the case so they just tried to pry it open and caused massive damage to the threading.

The threading is much better now and most of the deep gouges have also been repaired.

The case has been polished and now looks superb with most of the damage now gone.

The grade 462, 1918, size 3/0s movement with 7 jewels has been completely overhauled and I installed a new mainspring.

The wrong plastic crystal has been removed and a new proper glass one has been installed.

It took a 28mm glass crystal, this is HUGE for a size 3/0s watch case.

I installed a better inner sleeve on the crown tube and a new stem as well.

The enamel dial survived the years quite well but the original lum started flaking off so I removed all of it.

The back side of the dial was date stamped 10 - 18 for October of 1918.

I re-lumed the skeleton hands using Bergeon white luminous paste.

Brand new 16mm Pigskin strap to top it all off.

I'll post a nice wrist shot tomorrow, sorry it's dark outside right now.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shep,

I bought the strap at International Watchman from Ron.

Open End 16mm Pigskin.

Thumbs,

Still having trouble seeing the pictures?

·
Banned
645 Posts
Still no pics buddy. When I right click where images should be, then click on "view page info", then "media", I scroll down to "images" and where these pics should be, all I get is the "loading" or "buffering" sign.
Anyone else having the same trouble?

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Still no pics buddy. When I right click where images should be, then click on "view page info", then "media", I scroll down to "images" and where these pics should be, all I get is the "loading" or "buffering" sign.
Anyone else having the same trouble?
Must be some sort of browser issue, I can see the pics just fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.