WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys !

I just finished up with this 1918 Elgin "Black Star Dial" Trench Watch the other day.

What makes this watch so incredible is the dial, it has PERFECT detail ! ! ! ! !

I have restored well over 50 of these watches and this is by FAR the best dial that I have ever seen, just had to share it with you.

It's housed in a Fahys "OreSilver" Semi-Hermtic case that still has the original factory crown.

The movement was completely taken apart, cleaned oiled and I also installed a brand new mainspring.

Amplitude and timing are now SUPERB!!!

New glass crystal and a new black nylon military strap, re-lumed hour and minute hands.

Just look at how PERFECT the detail is on the Eagle within the crest, they NEVER look this crisp and tight.

You can make out the feathers on the wings with ease and even the Eagle's beak!!!!!

This dial must have been struck with a brand new dial die when stamped back in 1918.

They are usually much more fuzzy looking from being struck time after time.

Here are 5 Elgin "Black Star Dials" next to each other, all five are genuine Elgin dials and NOT reproductions, the PERFECT dial is on the far left in each picture so you can see the difference, it's quite remarkable.

The PERFECT dial by itself.

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
Another show stopper Stan...

My buddy at work was lucky enough to get one of these from
you and I finally got to see it in the flesh... INCREDIBLE.

Gang, if you are in the mood for one of these kind of
watches...STAN is the MAN!!!:thumbup:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Stan...
I just have to say, your watches are the nicest examples out there and
no one has better examples. your work is just incredible:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much guys!

Having a little bit of OCD goes a long way when it comes to restoring watches!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts