WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DSC02825.jpg DSC02816.jpg DSC02817.jpg DSC02822.jpg This watch has a Watch Specialties Co. movement (not working) and inside the case it says guaranteed 25 years and a serial number. Can anyone here give any added information on this watch? Thanks.
DSC02811.jpg

·
Super Moderator
15,651 Posts
Hello, Bill.
There's not much to tell. All Gruen records were lost when the company was sold in 1950. Hopefully a Gruen experet can fill-in some blanks.

I believe that top number is the serial # and the 813 is the movement. The DG&S is the monogram of the company Dietrich Gruen & Son, and later Dietrich Gruen & Sons. The "Gruen Watch Company" wasn't formed until 1922. Your watch has a medium grade movement. Higher-end movements had at least 19 (see photo)jewels and were adjusted to 5 positions. And movements during that time were indeed supplied by the Watch Specialties Company.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I came across a handfull of vintage watches that I will be selling on ebay and I'm trying to get as much information on them that I can. After doing some research on watches, I find it fascinating and very interesting and I can see why some people collect them. Thanks again for the information.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Hello, Bill.
There's not much to tell. All Gruen records were lost when the company was sold in 1950. Hopefully a Gruen experet can fill-in some blanks.

I believe that top number is the serial # and the 813 is the movement. The DG&S is the monogram of the company Dietrich Gruen & Son, and later Dietrich Gruen & Sons. The "Gruen Watch Company" wasn't formed until 1922. Your watch has a medium grade movement. Higher-end movements had at least 19 (see photo)jewels and were adjusted to 5 positions. And movements during that time were indeed supplied by the Watch Specialties Company.

Bill...This is a great looking movement...for a pocket watch I assume...what is the size? Do you have pics posted of the face and case? I'd love to see it.

Liz

·
Super Moderator
15,651 Posts
Wow...3 strikes in one post! :001_rolleyes:
Sorry Liz, but to be honest, I have no clue. It probably is a p/w but no idea as to it's size...it's not mine. I stumbled upon it by accident when I was online researching Watch Specialties Company. Besides that, my little EasyShare Kodak isn't good enough for a clear close-up like that.

I wish I was lucky enough to have that beauty in my collection!

Reactions: timeliz

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fascinating, just fascinating. Looks like I'm gonna have another hobby. I hope you dont mind if I pick the brains of some of the posters in this forum a little. For instance, is Ebay a good site to purchase a vintage watch (if you know what to look for)? BTW I found this site while researching some vintage watches. It gives the year a watch was made by the serial number. Gruen is on the list.
Vintage Watch Restoration (VWR) - Serial Numbers

·
Registered
261 Posts
Wow...3 strikes in one post! :001_rolleyes:
Sorry Liz, but to be honest, I have no clue. It probably is a p/w but no idea as to it's size...it's not mine. I stumbled upon it by accident when I was online researching Watch Specialties Company. Besides that, my little EasyShare Kodak isn't good enough for a clear close-up like that.

I wish I was lucky enough to have that beauty in my collection!
Bill, Me too!

Just makes one more treasure to hunt for... :laugh:

·
Registered
261 Posts
Fascinating, just fascinating. Looks like I'm gonna have another hobby. I hope you dont mind if I pick the brains of some of the posters in this forum a little. For instance, is Ebay a good site to purchase a vintage watch (if you know what to look for)? BTW I found this site while researching some vintage watches. It gives the year a watch was made by the serial number. Gruen is on the list.
Vintage Watch Restoration (VWR) - Serial Numbers
Welcome Mr. Bill...Thanks for the serial # list. I have not seen this one before.

You have found a brain-pickers paradise here at WTF.

As far as ebay goes, I have found almost all of my vintage timepieces on the "swamp" over the years and have had very good luck...
but others have complaints aplenty. There is a thread somewhere on here, I think here in the General forum with tips and cautions to be aware of before you take the dive. Happy fishing!

·
Super Moderator
15,651 Posts
Using caution like you said, the Bay IS a good place to find vintage goodies.
80% of my stuff came from the Bay, 5% from our own The Sales Forum, 5% from antique stores, 5% from gun shows (yes, I said gun shows!), and 5% from never mind cause I'm not gonna give away ALL my secrets. :lol:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok...time to do some brain picking. As you can see, my Gruen is in very bad shape so I'LL be selling it in the swamp for parts and scrap. I cant find anything that shows the gold content, just the 25 year mark on the inside of the back of the case. I read where the longer the years of guarantee, the thicker the gold plate. Here's my question, how do I find the gold content? The band is a Duchess 1/20 - 10K GF Top.

Thanks Liz, I will proceed with caution when fishing the swamp...hope I find a few keepers.

I think the 5% that Bill wont reveal where he gets his stuff is..... (Drum Roll) ..... Garage sales.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Bill...although the watch case shows wear-through making it not very desirable, the movement is early Gruen and very possibly serviceable and would have value to some collectors. Cases and bracelets in better shape abound and can still be found in better vintage or NOS condition . The gold content in a gold filled case this size is minimal and not a great selling point...you would need at least a lb. of these small cases to maybe interest gold scrappers is my thought.

I found this one not long ago on the bay, had it serviced, and now I wear it proudly...http://www.watchtalkforums.info/forums/american-watch-forum/59267.htm http://www.watchtalkforums.info/forums/american-watch-forum/59267.htm

liz

Oh...and 1/20 - 10K GF Top means that the gold content of the gold filled top caps is 1/20th of the weight of the caps.

·
Super Moderator
15,651 Posts
"Ask me no questions, and I will tell you no lies." :lol:

Reactions: timeliz

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sweet Gruen watch Liz.

So......I went to my kids house today and on the way there, theres a (Cash for Gold) shop. I figure..why not.. so I take my beat up Gruen and stopped in for a visit. To make a short story even shorter, I couldnt even PAY them to take it off my hands LOL. There is a bright side to this......I now have a sacrificial watch I can operate on and see if I can get it to run and get an idea on how a movement works.

·
Registered
261 Posts
LOL...:blush:

You might have a better luck starting with a larger pocketwatch size...unless you have really great eyesight...those parts are really, really, really small...really. :blink:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow...those parts ARE small. Got out my eye glasses repair kit thinking I could use the screwdriver on the movement screws, no dice....not even close. Now I'm curious how them tiny screws and movement parts were made way back then. My Thanks to everyone for the information and I'm sure I'll be back with more questions as it looks like I have another hobby.
Thanks again,
Later,
Mr. Bill

·
Registered
667 Posts
Another resource

“Another web resource that you may find helpful if you want to learn more about your watch or Gruens in general is at GruenWristwatches . The “forum” section has a community of users that are quite helpful in watch identification, history, reference material, etc."
B

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks bazzab....bookmarked.

Liz, I think I came across the site where CometHunter found the picture of that Watch Specialties Co. movement (Gruen). If you still want to see the flip side here it is, just click on em.
Watch Specialties Co

·
Registered
261 Posts
Wow...that's some good hunting Mr. Bill...interesting that the dial is very similar to mine...must have been a favorite at the time.

Thanks for the link! :thumbup1:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts